1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC Womens 4 x 400 track win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was touched on briefly in the everything else thread, but the best sporting event of the year so far was the USC women winning the 4x400 relay after a horrific baton exchange. The race was fantastic. The stakes were huge. USC needed to win the relay to win the team title. In addition, ESPN play by play commentator Dwight Stones had a Dewey Defeats Truman moment by declaring Purdue the winner down the backstretch (USC was that far behind)

A great write up and graphics by the LA Times.

Inside the USC women's track team's relay miracle at the NCAA championship

I will endeavor to find the youtube

2. poindexter

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What happened to the woman from Purdue? She was so slow down the stretch it looked like she was letting up.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Is what she is doing to the Florida runner allowed?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't think she had much left after possibly going out too fast in her 200 split.

6. poindexter

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

8. poindexter

Apparently there is a lot of jostling allowed in the baton exchanges. There was a protest made, but it wasn't for the florida incident - it was for Ellis taking the inside early on the last lap and perhaps bumping the UK runner. Protest was not upheld.

Purdue runner knew. Another angle shown on espn's coverage shows she is looking at the video board in the last 20 meters. She just didn't have anything left.

From the ground level, you can see Purdue let out a "FUCK" after the race ended.

9. poindexter

I am trying to find the splits. I don't think the Purdue girl ran a horrendous race. Ellis ran a FANTASTIC race.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Pac-12 absolutely dominated collegiate women's sports this year. National titles in soccer, swimming, gymnastics, beach volleyball, water polo, track, tennis, golf and crew.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The 25 people who get the PAC-12 network probably saw some of those championship teams compete.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was fantastic. Boy graduated last year from HS, I miss the track meets and the relays especially.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted