1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC slammed by NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 10, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know if he looks smart; just opportunistic. It didn't take a rocket surgeon to see the hit was going to come down after last season.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Pete is "absolutely shocked."

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got 30 seconds in and couldn't listen to the bullshit any more...

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't necessarily blame the coaches completely. They share some of the blame, sure.

But a bigger part of this is the darn boosters and agents who are showering cash and stuff at these 18-year-olds, in hopes of making it rich themselves down the road.

There needs to be some sort of connection between the NCAA and pro leagues, so that people like OJ Mayo and Reggie Bush don't walk away scott free while others suffer the consequences.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Schools would be suing these athletes, donors and agents if they were totally in the dark about this stuff. I'm guessing the discovery process would be pretty ugly though.

6. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

It pisses me off how coaches like Calipari and Carroll are lauded for being smart to have skipped town before the stuff hits the fan but the players are portrayed as the scum of the earth. Carroll might be a nice guy but he carved out a pretty nice existence as a result of Reggie Bush's and others assorted dealings. Are we to believe, for example, that Carroll never asked Bush about his family's new digs once everyone with internet access had heard about it? Once again, media with a few exceptions get an "L" for keeping a pretty safe distance from ground zero of this mess all the while selling the Pete Carroll as rock star story.

The ethically challenged coaches go on to the next lucrative stop as if nothing ever happened. They boldly sit on sets in broadcast studios beside "journalists" and it never occurs to anyone to ask them about their skullduggery.

Strange thing is that I've been USC fan forever. I admired the players skills all the while hating the facade of college "amateur" athletics.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wouldn't put Carroll in the same sentence as Calipari. Bush and his parents are the real douchebag here, and he'll probably suffer the least.

Every major program cheats on some level, but the smart ones usually cover it up better than the rest. It usually takes a colossal fuck-up for a major program to face big sanctions.

8. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

I put Carroll in the same sentence with Calipari because both try to act like they had no idea what was going on, profit from the cheating and skip off to greener pastures without real repercussion. Bush and his family's motives are clear and their actions speak for themselves.
    However, it galls me to see Carroll's grinning puss continue to be rewarded. The colossal screw up happened on his watch. Bush doesn't pay and Carroll doesn't pay, but it will always be about how Bush and Mayo brought down the program and not about how the coaches stuck their heads in the sand yet reaped the benefits.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Loved that Kiffen go burned.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

USC will remain the 2004 AP national champion.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/06/its-confirmed-associated-press-will-not-strip-usc-of-2004-title-.html

"The 2004 poll stands," AP sports editor Terry Taylor confirmed in an e-mail to the Times. "The poll is intended to measure on-field performance. If teams are allowed to play, they're allowed to be ranked and USC certainly played in 2004."

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Here's a scary thought: Slick Rick Neweasel is currently running the cleaner of the LA football programs. :eek:

Oh, and I wonder what Billie Joe Camaro thinks of all this?

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A "clean" program = one the NCAA hasn't looked at yet or won't look at. Nice going, punish 20 year olds for something that happened when they were 14. The world would be better off if college sports was shut down by an act of Congress. I pity the people on this board who really care about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted