1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC slammed by NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 10, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And would the AP do the same thing? What's to stop USC from keeping its banners up saying its the national champions? Unlike what the NCAA mandates.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

The same AP that just held a re-vote for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year?

3. MileHigh

Well, back then, AP didn't want to determine who played in the BCS championship game because it didn't want to make news, just report the news.

Whatever. As a non-USC fan, I will enjoy this.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I guess the CCA could declare them ineligible for BCS participation until they take the banners down.

And, honestly, unless there is some sort of rule on punishment for these types of situations in whatever agreement the conferences signed when the BCS was created I really don't think they could - or should - vacate the title.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oh, the yin and the yang of being a Tiger Vol...

Mizzou on the verge of being humiliated while Kiffin gets spanked hard for the first time in his life.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

AP already has a precedent that teams on probation can receive votes. Why should it affect the past?

7. MileHigh

This is the same school that suddenly found some wacko poll from the 1930s about 8-10 years ago to hang another banner and claim whatever number of national titles they have. Again, whatever. They cheated. This is not a surprise considering the coach or the AD.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I believe San Francisco had to vacate a men's soccer title, but has a national title in a major sport like men's basketball or football ever been vacated?

If not, would the BCS honchos want to be the first to do so?

9. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I'm not a big fan of this type of shit. Here's why: The guys most affected by this are innocent - the players who are on the current roster. This hurts the players more than anyone else. They had nothing to do with this, and it isn't their fault. Do you think Reggie Bush gives a shit?

They should be given some kind of exemption where they can transfer out without losing any eligibility. Does anyone know how that works?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

AP would rank those teams after the hammer fell; would they do it knowing that Reggie Bush shouldn't be playing?

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In other news, 52% of Seattle Seahawks fans now understand why Pete Carroll felt this was the right time to go back and try his hand at coaching in the pros.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd first like to say Fuck You Lane Kiffin!

Second, I don't like vacating wins and championships. You can't take a sponge to history. Fine them for it, take scholarships, ban them for a while. But when they do this stuff like "there was no 2004 champion" I always think "Really, I remember watching the game and every print newspaper in the world has an archive that shows them says they won."

Draft saved Draft deleted