1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC manager fired for deflating game balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gravehunter, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's done at the high school level, each team has its own balls. They get looked at before the game to make sure they are properly inflated. This includes game balls and those used on kickoffs.

I'm pretty sure at the college level, there is a ball boy on each sideline, to quickly get a ball back in play to keep the game flowing.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

But why?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

College and high school football are the only sports I know of where each team uses its own ball. Doesn't happen in the NFL.

At college games each team has a ball boy on each sideline running his team's balls. That's why you'll occasionally see a guy in the opposing team's colors standing in the other team's bench area.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No idea. Always been that way as far as I know.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

College and high school teams sometimes use different brands of footballs, depending on endorsement deals, etc. All must meet NCAA standards. Golfers use different brands of equiptment; sometimes college basketball and baseball teams do too, in which case the ball that is used is the brand provided by the home team.

6. MileHigh

They use them during the week at practice and it's just a comfort thing.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

But why?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

1. LOL that these unpaid 'student athletes' in a not-for-profit activity use different brands depending on endorsement deals. You can't make this stuff up.
    2. As far as I know, no college basketball teams use a different ball on offense than the opposing team does. And as far as I know, no starting baseball pitcher uses a different baseball brand than the opposing pitcher.

The rule about having different footballs for each team is batshit crazy, and ripe for cheating.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

1. Some colleges are sponsored by Nike and use Nike footballs. No way does an Adidas school use a Nike football. So when team Nike plays at Team Adidas, they each use their own balls on offense. Same at the high school level. Schools buy their equipment from different sources, or are sponsored by different apparel companies. As long as both brands are certified by their high school association, different balls are often used in the same game.

2. Some college basketball teams use Baden basketballs, some use Nike or other brands. When a team that uses a Nike ball plays on the road against a team that uses a Baden ball, the Baden ball is used.

Same with baseball. Teams from the same conference use the same balls, but if Team A (Rawlings) plays at Team B (Baden), the Baden ball is used.

10. MileHigh

Officials inspect and approve all of the balls before the game. They handle the ball on each play, and they would notice if something is amiss during the game and take the illegal ball out of play.

Draft saved Draft deleted