1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC manager fired for deflating game balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gravehunter, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In the words of the late great Al Mcguire : "take the air out of the ball coach"

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always thought it would be a fun project to track down all the people that have been implicated in various college scandals that are fired while people like Calipari and Calhoun stick around, and find out where they are working and if or how those jobs are connected to the coaches.
    I'm fairly certain the student-manager will land on his feet.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's entirely plausible that Kiffin didn't have direct knowledge of this.

However, I refuse to believe Barkley didn't know. QBs and receivers are no different than pitchers when it comes to being picky about the balls they're using. Teams are going to break in balls in the way their quarterback prefers. My guess is they deflated the balls a little too much and got caught.

There's also no way USC is the only school doing this.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm confident Barkely and others knew. The kid is most likely taking the fall for somebody who told him to do it, whether it be on the coaching staff or just players. And, as someone else noted, good chance he'll be rewarded for it down the line.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Does this mean Barkley has trouble throwing a normal ball and will this impact his draft because the NFL is heavier and bigger.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Aside from last season, Barkley has always had trouble throwing a normal ball, at least as it pertains to ending up in the hands of the opponent.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't even know about this episode in the Colorado game.

------
    USC had backup quarterback Cody Kessler change from No. 6 to No. 35 against the Buffaloes, a number worn by punter Kyle Negrete. Kessler then attempted to run for a two-point conversion – a play that was brought back on a holding penalty. In the second half, Kessler was back to wearing No. 6, seemingly in violation of NCAA rules about changing jerseys in an attempt to deceive the opponent. That brainstorm was almost certainly the difference in USC squeaking out a 50-6 victory over Colorado.
    ------

Forde also says Kiffin changed the policy and closed the Coliseum to visitor walk-throughs -- just in time for Hawaii and Norm Chow, who supposedly has some bad blood with Kiffin.

What a putz. What a goddamn little spoiled, undeserving putz.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why would you risk a stunt like that against a team as pitiful as Colorado that you know you'll clobber anyways?

Funny, I'm suddenly reminded of those secondary violations Kiffin collected immediately after taking the Tennessee job.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Shit, those balls might be the ONLY things on USC's campus not inflated...

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Kiffin deserves every crap thrown his way, and there is no way Barkley is innocent...

But that said, can someone explain why there are two sets of footballs, one for each team?

No other sport does this.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not every team uses the same brand. There are 4 or 5 brands approved. No doubt that Oregon is using a Nike ball.

Draft saved Draft deleted