1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC manager fired for deflating game balls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gravehunter, Nov 8, 2012.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

http://usc.ocregister.com/2012/11/07/manager-fired-usc-fined-for-deflating-game-balls/112455/

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Clearly a lack of institutional control.

Give them the death penalty.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Someone know what kind of competitive advantage there would be with slightly deflated game balls?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Doesn't each time use its balls on offense? Assuming that is correct, a slightly deflated game ball would be a bit harder to throw but easier to hold on to and catch ... I think

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can you secure a flat football as tightly as an inflated one when you are running with it?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A football with less air in it is easier to grip, which makes it easier to throw, catch and hold on to.

Oregon would have been using their own footballs to they would have had no idea the balls the Trojans were using were slightly deflated.

My guess is that they got caught because one of the officials noticed the difference in pressure while handling the balls during possession changes.

And given that nobody gets caught the first time USC has probably been doing this for awhile.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My, that is one ambitious and bold young man, slightly deflating the balls with absolutely no direction whatsoever from the coaching staff.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's a self-starter and a stand-up guy at the same time!

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What's wrong with weaker balls?

10. +1

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure he was acting completely independently... :D

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are reporters allowed to ask about the employment status of student managers, or did Lane forbid that in his Code Of Conduct?

Draft saved Draft deleted