1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC kicker found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Jan 6, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Sorry, Bubbs, I had a new sarcasm font working. Apparently it doesn't read real well. I'm gonna have to work on that.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The "apparent suicide" part of the blog has been taken down. And Wolf has an explanation.

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/archives/2007/01/an_explanation_1.html

Several readers emailed about the initial Mario Danelo item. Several sources called last night after news of the tragedy broke, including two within the USC football program and another person at the scene, and said Danelo's death was an apparent suicide. It was not intended to upset the family and our prayers our with them.
    We have taken the item down because the cause of death is still undetermined.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Must be nice to throw shit out there and then make words disappear into thin air with just a few clicks because a few people got pissed and it wasn't substantiated.
    Why didn't he mention these unnamed sources when making the claim last night?

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This story is bothering me.

Why was he there? If it is suicide, why do it in a spectacular fashion such as this? If it is an accident, who was he with or around that night? If he was there by himself, why?

Also, he missed two extra points in the Rose Bowl and he ends up at the bottom of a cliff a few days later. Many scenarios can spring from that. Use your imagination.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Now that the BLOGGERS!! have been duly (and fully deservedly) chastised for unfounded suicide speculation, the Po Po joins the fun.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070107/UPDATE/701070361

6. MileHigh

He might have been there because it's a popular spot, has fantastic views (the wind has been blowing the past few days, so you could have seen Catalina), etc. Again, who knows? But to just come out and say "apparent suicide" an hour or two after the news broke without citing sources/leaving it out of the print edition was wrong. Let the investigators do their work and figure it out.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Someone who lives there said the spot is known for its winds and people pressing against them as they lean over the edge. Autopsy is Monday.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

The cliffs in San Pedro are popular for drinking youngsters. Same goes for a lot of the cliffs overlooking the beaches in that area of SoCal. There are plenty of prime spots where kids go to have fun that feature plenty of places where one could fall to one's untimely demise. Starting with the entire walkway down to the beach at some parts of the Palos Verdes area.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of that particular area can correct me . . . . .

If I were to guess, he and his buddies were drinking out there having the fun that youngsters have, and he accidentally fell. And his buddies, being a bunch of dumb 21-year-olds, said "Oh shit!" and ran like hell. They are probably on the phone to each other getting their story straight before one of them goes to the cops. Or they're completely guileless and are just crapping their pants and threatening each other with retribution if they go to the cops.

If foul play has been ruled out and suicide was unlikely for such a kid, this would seem the most logical explanation.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

"our with them"?

Geez, this guy is just stellar, isn't he? How in the fuck do such stupid people wind up getting jobs anywhere in journalism, let alone a beat at a major metro daily?

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The police have apparently ruled out foul play. But what was the point spread on that game? It was still fairly close when he missed the PATs.

11. MileHigh

I wouldn't call the Daily News a major metro daily. More like a suburban midsize.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Nor would I call a blog journalism. Even if it is a blog linked to or with a "legitimate news source."

Draft saved Draft deleted