1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC kicker found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Why did you think him?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Didn't he have some link to Siegfried and Roy or something? Cole Ford that is.

3. Turfburger

Turfburger Member

He's the dude that took a few shots at Siegfried and Roy's villa in Vegas.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good God, that's horrible...

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

AP story just moved.

<cm+bd>BC-FBC--T25-USC-Kicker-Death,0193 <cm-bd>
    <cm+bd>URGENT <cm-bd>
    <cm+bd>Southern California kicker found dead at bottom of cliff <cm-bd>
    <cm+bd>Eds: Moving on sports and sports services. <cm-bd>¶
    SAN PEDRO, Calif. (AP) — Southern California kicker Mario Danelo was found dead Saturday about 120 feet down a rocky cliff near Point Fermin lighthouse. <cm-bd>¶
    The body was reported by a passer-by at about 4:30 p.m., said Martha Garcia of the Los Angeles Police Department. <cm-bd>¶
    Danelo, the 21-year-old son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo, made 15 of 16 field goals this season and led the Trojans in scoring with 89 points. The junior made two field goals in the Rose Bowl on Monday to help USC beat Michigan 32-18. <cm-bd>¶
    Speaking on behalf of Trojans coach Pete Carroll, USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said: “We were stunned to hear about this tragedy. This is a great loss. Mario was a wonderful young man of high character. <cm-bd>¶
    “He was one heck of a kicker. He was a key ingredient in our success the past two years. The thoughts and prayers of the entire Trojan family go out to the Danelo family on this sad, sad day.” <cm-bd>¶
    AP-ES-01-07-07 0000EST <cm-bd>

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

120 feet? Holy shit. That's up there.

Foul play?

7. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe that either, I just saw that on espn.com. And I did the college football page tonight and I had to run a big story on the awesome International Bowl. Another Big East winner!!

Seriously though, how awful for the Danelo family. RIP. As a Giants fan, the Danelo name will always be up there with the Bahr's, Allegre's and Gogolak's of the world. And yes, he did hit the FG against the Cowboys in '81 to send them into the playoffs for the first time since '63.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Am I going to hell for thinking "why couldn't they have found him 30 minutes earlier?" Our press started rolling 10 minutes ago.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/

10. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Man what is it with all this death these days you got Ford, James Brown, and now this.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

How you face death is as important as how you face life, Admiral Rambo.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My first thought. Foul play or no, that's terrible news.

Draft saved Draft deleted