1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAir denies refund to terminally ill cancer patient

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by gravehunter, Nov 29, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

US Air has refused to issue a refund of plane tickets, after a terminally-ill woman was advised to not travel by her doctor.

http://radio.foxnews.com//toddstarnes/top-stories/u-s-airways-refuses-to-give-terminal-cancer-patient-refund.html

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm no fan of the airlines, and I think USAir especially sucks, but nonrefundable is nonrefundable. If the airline waived change fees and offered vouchers, that's not too bad. Obviously I feel for the woman, but still.

But USAir will cave at some point and just refund everything when the online chatter gets too loud. All the big companies do.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah... maybe I'm suffering from outrage fatigue, but I just don't give a shit. If you've been battling breast cancer, maybe non-refundable tickets aren't for you.

They offered vouchers instead, and she asks "What am I going to do with a voucher if I'm dead?" Well, what the fuck are you doing with a refund?

But it's a moot point -- talk radio will hammer US Airways, they'll give in and refund the money, and a lot of people will vow never to fly US Airways... and they'll live up to that vow right up until the day they need to fly somewhere and US Airways is 20 cents cheaper than United.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have very little sympathy for anyone who complains about not being refunded for a nonrefundable fare. Doesn't matter the situation, really.

This one ticked me off, though:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/airline-passenger-forced-stand-7-hour-flight

A passenger was squeezed out of his seat by his super fat USAir seatmate. Normal sized passenger stood up through the entire 7-hour flight (re-seating wasn't an option) and was given a $200 voucher.

To me, that guy should be compensated, not the nonrefundable one. He was given a $200 voucher, but he'd paid more than $800 for the ticket.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Umm, not for nothing, but why doesn't the lady just travel anyway? What's the worst that's going to happen? If you've always wanted to go to Belize and know you're going to die soon, wouldn't tell the doctor to fuck off and get on the first plane there? Am I missing something here?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Her first mistake was choosing to fly USAir.

8. Geez, folks, what scenario allows for some compassion and rule-bending if freaking cancer is not one of them?

According to the story, she was cleared of the cancer when she bought the tickets, probably a celebratory, life-affirming dream purchase. The cancer then came back.

Suddenly, $4,200 likely seemed better spent on medical bills and such than a vacation.

This bit here from the airline spokesperson is amazing:

We’re trying to be flexible and offer her and her family some accommodations,” Landau told Fox.
    “Big deal – I may not be alive,” McKain told WUSA. “What good is a voucher gonna do me?”
    Landau explained that the vouchers “can be used by anyone in her family.”
    She also offered a word of caution to all travelers.
    “As with purchasing anything, it’s important to understand the terms and conditions of the tickets you purchase,” Landau said.

Basically, "fuck you if you die. We're at least willing to give a voucher to your grieving family."

I get it, rules are rules. But give me a freaking break. They're not THAT important. We're still supposed to be human. And humanity is supposed to cover a lot more than simple proper business practices. Sheesh.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I drove this round trip last week and the cost between tolls and gas was probably about $80 or so.

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was going to comment but im sure I would get hammered so ...

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't get all uppity, share your thoughts with us.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you're dying, are you wasting one of your last breaths arguing with an airline? When she dies, will everyone at the funeral talk about her noble fight vs. USAir?

Draft saved Draft deleted