1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAGE/DEFINITION OF: Game-winning hit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by new-pj, Jan 5, 2007.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

I assume you were trying to be sarcastic, but in case you were not, walk-off homer is pure jargon. And it's inaccurate. The batter and runners (if any) can't just head straight to the dugout; they have to circle the bases.
    Just call it a game-ending homer.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have never allowed walk-off home run to get into any stories I've been edited. Jargon at its worst. Wanna use it, go work for TV where that shit flies.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's easy for you to say. :D

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Is that really the reason why people hate it? I'll buy the jargon reason, although I don't agree with it, we're writing for the readers and it's definitely the term they use (I know I'm gonna get ripped for that point with a million different examples of "Well readers call so and so this, so should we do that too?"... but whatever). As for the actual not walking off the field immediately, come on.

Draft saved Draft deleted