1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USADA reaches NCAA-level depths of absurdity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jun 5, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lindsey Vonn was at a fashion awards show Monday night at the Lincoln Center when drug testers showed up demanding some pee.

Because obviously Monday or Tuesday morning simply would not do for USADA's purposes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/vonn-takes-surprise-drug-test-fashion-show-article-1.1364279

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I really hate USADA and WADA with a passion. George Orwell would be proud of their zeal.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hey, if I was a pee collector I'd take advantage of being able to crash some cool events too. Of course, I'd probably have hit Vonn up at Augusta instead of a fashion show.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

All it means is Julia Mancuso is about to go on probation.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

These people are out of control, and it's pretty obvious the testing doesn't catch the biggest fish. I'm not sure how much federal money goes to USADA each year, but I'm sure if it's more than about two cents, then that money could be better used. The only thing these organizations serve is giving people like Tygart and Pound a platform to bully the types of people who used to take their lunch money.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you to be concerned about a govt agency out of control I would be
    more concerned about this story:

TOP TALKER - The Guardian, "NSA collecting phone records of millions of Verizon customers daily ... Top secret court order requiring Verizon to hand over all call data shows scale of domestic surveillance under Obama," by Glenn Greenwald , with additional reporting by Ewen MacAskill and Spencer Ackerman : "The National Security Agency is currently collecting the telephone records of millions of US customers of Verizon, one of America's largest telecoms providers, under a top secret court order issued in April. The order ... requires Verizon on an 'ongoing, daily basis' to give the NSA information on all telephone calls in its systems, both within the US and between the US and other countries. The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk - regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.

7. Inky_Wretch

USADA is not a government agency. It's a nonprofit.

8. Inky_Wretch

And Vonn has nothing to complain about it compared to the cyclist who was drug tested while making arrangements for the cremation of his infant son.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/van-impe-tested-at-crematorium-15187/

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Vonn pee testers are also checking for the sperm of Satan.

Draft saved Draft deleted