1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today's Chris Chase: Post-game interviews worthless

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gannettblog, Jan 21, 2013.

1. gannettblog

gannettblog New Member

If Chase is right, why do so many editors and reporters bother?

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/usat-attention-all-sports-assignment.html

Jim

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He clearly was talking about one-on-one TV interviews. No one ever says anything interesting in those.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For the typical reporter . . .

If you're going down there "because I have some questions I'd like answers to," then it likely will be useful.

If you're going down there "to get some quotes," then it may be useful but likely won't be.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Really the only purpose of them is to show whether the losing side is a good sport or not. It's like the consolation speeches on election night.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Agree with Versatile. The thread title and the OP badly misconstrue what the writer said.

6. gannettblog

gannettblog New Member

Why would one-on-one TV interviews be less productive than those with print?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Because those TV interviewers ask worthless questions.

I would add that just about every Bill Belichick interview in the past decade has been worthless because the man lies through his teeth at every chance.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What Vers said.

Also a one-on-one print interview that is pre-planned to take approximately one minute and consist of three general questions would be similarly worthless. That's why they aren't scheduled and don't occur.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus. That blog was a hot mess.

As for postgame being worthless, it just depends on who's doing the questioning. I don't find it worthless at all. If you're worth a damn as a beat writer, you figure out how to make a postgame presser worth your while. You tailor your questions a certain way, you read the coach and player's personalities to get them to open up. In other words, instincts good reporters should have.

I think a better question is why there's some in our industry who are so self-loathing to think that part of the process of our job is worthless? I do think he's primarily talking about TV postgame interviews in his blog, but there are those out there who think access in general is overrated.

Of course, those same people rarely have a better option to bring to the table. And when you ask them how you replace the access with something equally productive, they generally clam up, because, like so many other things in life, they want to criticize something without having a proper solution/replacement for it.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bubbler, I think you're taking it the way gannettblog wants us to take it, making his favorite target look bad, rather than the way the writer intended it.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're blowing my mind.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Probably for the same reason so many of them send large contingents to media day at the Super Bowl: They're lemmings.

Draft saved Draft deleted