1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today's Chapter Eternal continues to grow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Apr 19, 2011.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Harry Blauvelt, who I knew in USA Today's sports department back in the day, was killed in a freakish accident on Maryland's Bay Bridge on Monday.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/traffic/2011/04/men_killed_injured_in_bay_brid.html

I was stunned to see that he was 70.

The Chapter Eternal of USAT Sports gains a new member, joining ... and I'm sure to leave somebody out ... Don Collins, Anne Squires and John Bannon, to name three.

RIP.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. What the hell was going on that day on the bridge? I've driven that bridge and it doesn't seem like it's a bad bridge to me (aside from the fact it's high above the water).

RIP Harry and sorry for your loss, HH. I know he wasn't family but he probably felt like it to you.

3. HejiraHenry

I've been gone from USAT so long now (1991) that it seems like somebody else's life. But the losses still can sting in surprising ways.

4. Pete Williams

Pete Williams New Member

I remember meeting Harry more than 20 years ago and marveling that he was 49 or 50 at the time -- until I met his parents. They looked way too young to have a 50-year-old son. Good genes and clean living, I suppose.

This board talks a lot about great characters in our business and Harry belongs right up there. RIP, buddy.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I met Harry when I just started. He was sports editor at the Merced, Calif., Sun-Star and I was at a sister weekly, but was cheap help on Friday night covering football. By the end of the school year, he got a job at the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, which led to the USAT gig. Still stunning.

6. the fop

the fop Member

Wow. I was on loan when all four were there. I knew about Don Collins, but not Bannon, or Anne. How long have they been gone?

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, when did John Bannon die?

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Here's a few more details on the crash. Talked to someone at his old paper in Calif., but I was such a rookie I didn't have any memories to share.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bs-md-bay-bridge-victim-20110419,0,494441.story

9. HejiraHenry

Anne Squires died in the summer of 2004.
    John Bannon died in 2005 in Florida at age 53.

Draft saved Draft deleted