1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today's Aunt Bea: Combine the two NCAA basketball tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Because of the physical nature of the game, basketball players have to have some physical strength to them -- some muscle, especially in the knees (which, due to the angle of the leg, makes them vulnerable to ACL tears), but also in the upper body -- arms, torso, et al. Women bulking up won't look as "lean." They'll look bigger -- especially the post players -- and out of shape, but it's an illusion. They're actually very strong.

Volleyball players need strong arms and strong legs, but they also need a lot of flexibility, which leads to a different emphasis in conditioning. Tennis players need to be lean, because quickness (in running down a ball) is as important as strength. Soccer players need to carry as little mass as possible, due to the amount of running they do in a game.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not to mention that basketball uniforms are far less flattering (i.e. less form-fitting) than your average volleyball hot pants or tennis dress.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

zebracoy: you're drunk or crazy.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great post, Crimson. Especially about the possible three-days-off-work thing for a Final Four trip. That's insane.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

thanks for the insight on the conditioning. I always wondered about that.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When the Women's Final Four was on a Saturday/Sunday, I was a crazy college student and left Friday morning (no classes), was in Minneapolis by the evening, went to all 3 games, then left after the title game Sunday afternoon, drove straight through (I wasn't the one driving) and got back into town in time for my first class on Monday.

When it was a Friday/Sunday and a 10-hour drive away, I missed Monday's classes, but that was all.

If it were a Sunday/Tuesday, that would screw up most of a week.

Go back to Friday/Sunday. It might not help attendance (it's a big draw), but the regionals & subregionals would do much better.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree. Whatever benefits the women's game gets from playing on Tuesday (being after men's is done, etc.) are negated by the fact that it's...frigging Tuesday. Lame.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But it works out really well for ESPN and that's what's most important, right?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Slag on ESPN for myriad other reasons, but if it weren't for them, they'd still be doing Saturday-Sunday for the benefit of CBS

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Let me give you some examples of the differences between male and female basketball players. Growing up a hoops crazy kid in Central Kansas, I was a couple of towns over from Jackie Stiles. She was a couple of years older than me and was a college All-American and WNBA Rookie of the Year. I was an average player for a decent 1A school. To give you an idea how good I was, I got two basketball recruiting letters and no phone calls from NAIA schools.

Jackie and I crossed paths a ton growing up at camps, clinics, summer leagues and pickup games. When she played with the boys she was lucky if she could get a shot off. And this is a girl that almost scored at will in college.

One of my teammates on the college track team had a sister that was an All-Big 12 player. He was the sixth or seventh man on his 3A high school team and though he joked about his sister being better than him, he actually dominated her if they played in the same pickup game.

These were players at the top of the women's game, not quite Candace Parker, but who is? And I can assure you my buddy and I were not Chris Lofton.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Horrible idea.

How in the hell will a town like Dubuque, Iowa replace the $100 worth of tourist dollars that having the women's Final Four brings?

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This had an informal tryout in 1989. Men's Final Four in Seattle (RIP Kingdome), Women's Final Four in Tacoma (at the Tacoma Dome), maybe 40 minutes away. Men's credentials would get you in the Women's FF automatically. NCAA arranged transportation from the men's HQ hotel to Tacoma. I don't think there were too many takers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.