1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today's Aunt Bea: Combine the two NCAA basketball tournaments

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Imagine a local major metro covering both tournaments in its city at the same time. You think the women are getting their own special section and anything remotely resembling equal coverage? Riiiight.

Agree, the women's Final Four is fine -- better than fine, even -- on its own. Brennan fails to recognize that it has come a damn long way already in her quest to wish it were something bigger.

If she wants to pound the drum, argue for better women's coverage during the season from national media and TV. That's the only way people will get to know more about teams other than Tennessee and UConn, which will translate to more interest and more bracket-filling, which is what the whole shebang is all about. Brennan knows that, citing the 8-to-1 disparity on her paper's site between men's and women's bracket page views. Hell, I would have predicted more like 20-to-1.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

It's not the job of the national media and TV to create interest in a product. MMA created it's own interest and has forced the hand of papers, websites and television stations. If/When the product can hold its own, it will.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Why would any of the national media be inclined to provide more coverage of the women's game during the regular season? With the exception of Storrs, Conn., Knoxville, Piscataway, N.J., and a handful of other places, no one cares. No one.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Let's clear one thing up right now.

Aunt BEE

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Here's my question: Why hasn't it caught on?

If you enjoy basketball, you can still appreciate the game's intricacies -- the matchups, adjustments, etc. -- watching the women.

I mean, it can't be all about the lack of dunks. Can it?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Over-saturation, perhaps? There's just a helluva lot of basketball today, especially now that almost every conference has a postseason tourney. It's a chore to keep up with all the men, and I think the collective sports audience can't throw in every last women's team on top of that. That's not to say they don't care -- I believe the women's Final Four ratings are usually good and it's a tough ticket. But nobody has energy for the early rounds, not with the men's being so popular.

Just a guess.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Everyone says the two games are completely different, and while I would have agreed maybe 10 years ago, the changing style of basketball is starting to have an effect on the women's game as well. No, they don't dunk - at least, maybe 10 in the Division I ranks can, and I think three that are active actually have - and no, they don't play overly physical, but the players are just as athletic as many of the men's basketball players.

Not to mention, I've found that many of the women's basketball players have much more interesting stories than the men's players. Whereas the men are usually larger than life and have some variation of the same backstory, a lot of the women are legitimately going to college for an education, have outside special talents they're winning to share and, typically, are much more personable.

So no, it's not all about the lack of dunks. Why hasn't it caught on? When more athletic departments take it more seriously, fund the program and find good coaches - there are several - then teams will get better. That's how it will grow and become more popular.

8. 1) The lack of competitive depth in Division I is one annoying aspect.
    2) Another is that people like Aunt Bee seem to think Title IX applies to newspapers, television and fans' wallets.
    3) Thirdly, women's sports have to always be cast as a referendum on gender and empowerment of the athletes instead of just being about the games.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Don't give a rip about either one.

Column was a shocker. Not.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's not so much the lack of dunking. It's that in general, they can't jump, they're slow and they have awful form on their jump shots. (Again, this is generally speaking. I know there are individual exceptions.) Compared to the men, the women seem like they're playing underwater, or in mud or something.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The thinking that the papers at the men's Final Four will have to cover the women's Final Four if they're at the same site is incredibly flawed. Newspapers have only so much space, and it's their job to devote that space to the things that interest their readers most.

As was said above, it is not the newspaper's job to generate the interest.

Take Sunday at the Final Four for instance. Will papers send extra reporters? Not with today's budgets. So you are then thinking that someone will spend hours and hours working on an off-day feature previewing the men's championship game and then cover the women's game or games?

If that's what you think, Aunt Bee and Ms. Shalala, you're delusional.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No one cares about college hockey!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.