1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today uses new Facebook faces on front page

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by murphyc, Oct 9, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

USA Today | Today's Front Pages | Newseum

I guess I understand using the Facebook images in the sense that we're in a digital world and all that, but putting the faces on each story looks tacky to me. Not to mention the extra work it creates for page designers. My biggest fear in this would be a story being put on at the last minute and a wrong face being grabbed, i.e. a happy face with a story about someone being killed.
    Thoughts?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We started using faces with our beat reporters a few months ago. Believe it or not, we have "happy" faces and "neutral" faces to prevent, say, there being a happy face from the NASCAR writer when somebody dies in a race.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

When does the smiling poop emoji make an appearance?

4. SBR

SBR Member

Man, I am all for experimenting with design and trying to make the dead-tree product as "interactive" as possible, but that looks cheesy as hell, and it doesn't really tell me anything.

Your headline or your photo should communicate whatever emotion is associated with a story. I don't see what this adds other than clutter.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This is so fucking stupid. :mad:

murphyc likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

That has to be a one-day thing, what with the refer to the story about Facebook introducing the faces. I'm saving my facepalm for if they do it again tomorrow.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A lot of people use a picture of their dog or their kid for their Facebook profile. Be fun to see that pop up.

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

What Facebook faces? I'm confused. EDIT: Oh this was from Friday, never mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted