1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today: Selig leaning toward suspending Giambi if he doesn't cooperate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

USA Today is reporting this. He has until Tuesday to decide if he is going to cooperate. The reporting is from Bob Nightengale.

<a href="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/yankees/2007-06-13-giambi-facing-suspension_N.htm">
    Here's the link.</a>

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Selig leaning toward suspending Giambi

Yankees: Go ahead. Make our year.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Selig leaning toward suspending Giambi

And the WWL decided to slap their names and sources on it as a 60 seconds ago.

4. ondeadline

Re: Selig leaning toward suspending Giambi if he doesn't cooperate

At least ESPN credited USA Today at first, anyway.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had to use the quote function to be sure this is documented in history

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I think suspending Giambi would be sending the wrong message to the players in general. He already has singled himself out with his comments and for Selig to act tough now is not only too little too late it is childish. I have gained a great deal more respect for Giambi after his earlier comments.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Does Selig have unilateral authority to do that? We've seen Stern and Goodell do it. Everyone things Selig is too much of a wimp and the players union makes Jimmy Hoffa look like a marshmallow. Will be interesting.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Of course he doesn't have the authority to do that. He seems intent on reinventing himself as Bowie Kuhn, losing the same fights Kuhn lost over the same nonsense. Best interests of baseball? There are no rules governing the players that supercede the collective bargaining agreement. It's a matter of law. Not even any room for different interpretations. People say he's doing this for public relations, to demonstrate he's trying to be tough, but I don't see where it does anything but make him look like a dunce.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty much how I felt. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss some kind of groundbreaking change in the rules baseball has. One year ago today Selig doesn't even have the stones to consider this. I can't figure out where this false bravado all of a sudden comes from.

10. ondeadline

Apparently Bud Light will be on Dan Patrick's ESPN Radio show at 1:20 ET. He's certainly got some 'splaining to do.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This whole exercise is about protecting what Bud sees as his legacy. He looks at himself in a crystal ball instead of a mirror. So he makes these tough-guy pronouncements (I should be able to unilaterally punish players as I see fit!) as a way to demonstrate to the public that he wants to be tough but his hands are tied by the good-faith agreements MLB made with the Players Association. He doesn't get that baseball fans are intelligent and certainly knowledgeable enough to see right through the bullshit.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope Dan asks what I'm wondering. When is it OK for a person to talk about steroids?

Kevin Towers talks about it, he's given the gag order. Jason Giambi doesn't want to talk about it, he's threatened with suspension.

I hope Bud can clear up the confusion.

Draft saved Draft deleted