1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bbb1978, May 29, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I seriously doubt it. I get the sense there are still a lot of hires to be made.

They've been pretty slow to make the official announcements, but I'm pretty sure they hired a baseball writer as well.

If the rumors are true, the guys they were targeting for college football and the NFL both turned them down and supposedly they want to make a splashy columnist hire as well.

2. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

I know of one NFL writer who turned them down, now almost two weeks ago. Supposedly made that person a good offer, too.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kevin Manahan, a good guy who has done a lot of everything in Newark, is going to be the NFL Editor. Kevin was a candidate for SE in Richmond when I somehow got that job and I enjoyed the brief time I got to spend with him. Another nice pickup for them.

4. Another name: Josh Barnett, now-former SE of the Philadelphia Daily News and my favorite freelance editor (no offense, Moddy, I've worked with him a lot more over a long period of time). I hear he'll be running Sports Weekly and other special publications/sections. From my perspective, Josh does a terrific job and is a joy to work with, so obviously I think this is a great hire for USAT.

5. Moderator1

I knew that was close - didn't know it was official. Another terrific hire. Funny, Josh compiles the "moves" for the APSE newsletter (I guess all the APSE-haters on here will hold that against him). He has a big move to report now.

And I won't hold it against you. I just hope for your sake he has a use for you when the Redskins visit Dallas!!

6. Man, you're killing me! Guess I deserved it, though!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Still no NFL writer and still no college football writer. Part of me wonders if they're done until after the Olympics...

8. Moderator1

There's at least one very strong offer out on those, though I have no idea where it stands.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, they recently re-posted the college football reporter and blog editor positions, along with college football blog editor, golf blog editor, NBA reporter and editor, and MLB editor (and NFL editor). I don't know if they're not happy with their current applicants or whether something won't happen on those fronts soon.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One of the most versatile and talented journalists I've ever known.

11. mcleme9

mcleme9 New Member

So would it just be silly for a new college grad to apply?

12. ericedholm

ericedholm New Member

Best advice I ever got: Never fear going after what you want.

Took Ron Rivera nine HC interviews before he got a shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted