1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today reporter, editor jobs - NFL, NBA, MLB, college, etc.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by bbb1978, May 29, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Knowing/having worked with Mary, I expect nothing less than her to not mess around. And Morgan's reputation is the same. They're serious about turning the site into one of the best -- and I expect it will get there.

2. cworsh4

cworsh4 Member

Yikes. From down the road in Baton Rouge, good luck.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

What's amazing about USA Today is how mediocre they have been for so long. They SHOULD have top talent. It's the biggest-circulation sports section in the country, right? (I seen Dave Nightingale (sp?) do some good work, but not many others stand out.)

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

DiMeglio is still there. One of the few full timers left covering golf.

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

Really? They don't let their writers write. They have some excellent reporters there. But they don't let them do their thing because of the format. Hoping that will change under the new regime but seriously, if you're a one of the elite why would you go to a place where there's so little chance to do real in depth stuff? Again, not a slam in any way of the people there, I just think they're shackled by the format. Let'em loose and see what happens.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Based on the people they're hiring, that is about to change.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I get the feeling for the paper's upcoming 30th anniversary they really want to blow things up... expanded sports section (or at least expanded sports presence), a new look, etc. What has anyone else heard?

8. Mizzougrad96

They've hired some great people and aren't even close to being done.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, I KNOW that. lol

All kidding aside, I wonder what this paper is going to look like in September when it celebrates the 30th anniversary. Something tells me they're investing in both digital AND print with these hires.

10. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I hope they didn't hire this crew to write eight-inch gamers. :D

That was what always drove me crazy about USA Today. A good portion of the writers there were people who had been hired away from some of the top papers in the country. Probably a safe assumption that said writer was one of the best on staff.

Then, these great writers would be used the way you would use an intern. One writer who I used to work with went from writing amazing takeouts to writing 24 inches a week. It was a running joke whether they would write three 8-inch stories, or two 12-inch stories.

I think it's a safe bet that is changing, or at least for the new hires.

11. Mizzougrad96

TBL just tweeted about Eric Prisbell (WP), David Meeks, and Simon Samano (NFL Network) being hired.

I knew about Prisbell. He's already relocated. I did not know about the other two.

More names are coming.

12. Mizzougrad96

Since Tim listed it on the Orlando thread, Rachel George was hired for one of the investigative gigs at USA Today.

Draft saved Draft deleted