1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today preseason Top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 3, 2007.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

oh, BTW, seeing how ESPN, heismanpundit, and a shitload of mid-major shills want you to forget about this game:

this is what happened the last time BSU set foot on a BCS-caliber school's home turf. and do also note that georgia let up in the second half.

before this game, DJ shockley was nothing more than a talented-but-shaky second string QB. this game made him a star. you rule, boise state.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Since you're too thick to get the hint, I'll just make things easier for the both of us.

3. king cranium maximus IV

4. king cranium maximus IV

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A few points.
    1. If Georgia had beaten Boise 58-7 AT Boise, I'd regard that as more conclusive proof of innate superiority. Routs happen, especially on the road. No one measures this year's Florida and Ohio State teams by last's years BCS game.
    2. You have to measure how many resources equal a program's quality to get an accurate picture. The average SEC's football team's budget is probably about the same size as Idaho's entire state budget.
    3. Boise State is an argument for playoffs. The greed of conferences like the SEC is what prevents one.

6. Simon

Simon Active Member

This is the poll that will have half the teams on it right now not finish in the top 25 and have at least 2 teams in the top 15 not make a bowl game right? These polls need to go away until after the first week of conference games.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Agreed.
    But they damn sure sell papers and TV ads and such.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Great questions. They speak to why I am anti-poll, and vehemently against preseason polls. You can't get 10 voters to agree upon what they're actually ranking -- starting position or projected finish.

Some voters rank a team lower than its ability because "the road schedule is brutal, and they'll lose at least two of those games." I don't know if voters make a corresponding adjustment in the opposite direction late in the season if they do better than the voter predicted.

Example: You think Florida is good enough to be No. 5, but you rank them at No. 9 because you're sure they'll lose two road games. By November you see they're 3-1 on the road, with a better overall record than you expected, but you can't jump them four spots now because your ballot would look suspect, or you think it would be unfair to teams in the four spots ahead of Florida.

I also don't know if voters rethink the entire season in November. "You know, when Auburn lost to Georgia I voted Auburn way down, but now that Georgia is in the SEC championship game I realize I severely underestimated Georgia. Auburn should not be this low."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do they really? Did you sell more papers Saturday than you did Friday, and if so was it more of a gap than on the average weekend?

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Somewhat related: I've been thinking for a while now that I could visit SportsJournalists.com daily and get the news of the day from what is posted on this site and this site alone and still be more educated on the daily happenings in the world than 90 percent of the American public.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agreed. As long as Les Miles is at LSU you see lots of talent wasted!

12. silentbob

silentbob Member

The above info on Boise State's record against BCS teams is incorrect.
    They beat Oregon State last year 42-14. That would be the same Oregon State team that beat USC.

For those who say they don't deserve to play for the national title because of their conference ... why not? If you're not going to give those teams a chance, why even act like they're included? .. It's not Boise State's fault they're in a weak conference. All they can do is win, and they have.

Those who say beating Oklahoma didn't prove much. "Just two very good teams, not great teams." Please. If Oklahoma had destroyed Boise State, you would've been the first to say, I told you so. Can't have it both ways. Oklahoma is a legit program. They had (and will have) numerous NFL players on that team. Save your "If Colt McCoy wouldn't have gotten hurt BS ..." How many excuses will you come up with?

Also, to the above poster who said USC will lose at least twice. Who in the world is going to beat them?

Draft saved Draft deleted