1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today preseason Top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, no, they don't. Starting two freshmen on the line to boot.

Their ranking is completely inexplicable and clearly based on beating two offensive turds in GT and VT at the end of last season.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They've also got to go to Maryland on a Thursday night. I'm expecting that to be the Josh Portis Introduces Himself to America game.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My prediction:

Georgia is nowhere near the top 25 by the end of the year. Pencil in losses to Oklahoma State, Florida, South Carolina and Auburn. At least.

Ditto for UCLA. The preseason rank is their honorary award for beating USC last year.

Oklahoma loses two games, tops.

USC loses two games, at least.

LSU beats VT by 30, but manages to blow a SEC West game at home.

West Virginia plays for the national title. I think they're playing Oklahoma or Michigan, which will have its best offense, well, in a very long time. Maybe ever.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Larry Munson also disagrees with Georgia's ranking, and he'll step on your face with a hobnail boot to prove it.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

LSU won't win that game by 30. VT's defense is too good. The Bengals win handily, though. I'm thinking something like 23-10.

6. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Alma

ORLY?

oklahoma state beat lousy alabama by 3 last year. think they'll win at sanford?
    georgia won by 18 at south carolina last year. think the gamcocks will win at sanford?
    georgia beat auburn by 22 last year (and it could have been worse...the dawgs took knees inside the AU 10 to run out the clock) on the plains. think the tigers will win at sanford?

georgia was horribly inconsistent last year, but finished strong. and if we are to pump up VT, let's at least give georgia a little credit for demolishing the hokies in the second half of the chicken biscuit bowl. the dawgs are green on D, yes, but very very talented on offense. i think they'll duplicate 9-4 at the worst, go to the capital one bowl at best. '08 will be another trip to the BCS.

7. Lots of love for an Oklahoma team with an unproven quarterback. LSU is in a similar situation, but Matt Flynn has experience in multiple games and beat the snot out of Miami in the Peach Bowl.

Georgia doesn't lose to Oklahoma State, Auburn or South Carolina. Stafford is a stud and did well last year, considering the circumstances. I watched him multiple times in high school and the kid is a winner, period.

I'm not so sure any team will go undefeated this year. USC, Michigan, WVU and Texas have the best chances. Not sure the computers will put WVU in the title game, though.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd like to know the five knuckleheads who voted for a 2-10 Memphis squad.
    A little early to be talking about the polls and who will be playing for the national title.
    Let's at least have them show up for practice first.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If he can stand up to do so.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Let's be glad Dyepack's not around.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The things that will salvage LSU's season are the facts that 1) Their talent out weighs their bad coaching, and 2) They play in the West, which is down this year ... again.

Also, I would pick LSU over any team from the East, so that is a guaranteed BCS bowl spot. National Championship? Maybe, but BCS, very likely.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always been curious about the first poll of the year. Is this a ranking of where the teams stand right now or a guess at how they will end up? Are Boise and Hawaii ranked low with the idea that they'll move up during the season?

Draft saved Draft deleted