1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today on this sorry business

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't they have printers?

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I think the point is that if newspapers aren't as good (with less resources), they won't have as much good stuff to rail about.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

In my first real job, at a radio station, I desperately needed the local rag to hit the driveway before the sun rose so I could get started on the morning newscast. It's not quite the same to rip and read some random blog.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This is just great.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I think Rosenstiel is completely wrong.

I've worked in TV/radio for 13 years. Never have I seen less emphasis on newspapers than I do now. TV/radio is hiring more reporters than ever and expecting more from them.

7. Mighty_Wingman

I have to admit, the image of TV and radio guys pounding their fists on the table and hanging their heads because they can't read the newspaper on the air makes for a great punchline. And believe me, in the relatively small market where I work, it's something that happens all the time, especially with radio guys.

There is, after all a huge difference between the CBC and the average network affiliate or local sports talk radio show.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot. USA Today itself was one of the biggest root causes of the fundamental problem.

9. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I've always thought this was the norm.

Am I wrong?

10. Mighty_Wingman

It's obviously a cliche among newspaper folks about the on-air folks. It does a disservice to a lot of very good TV people.

It's true there are a lot of useless walking haircuts working at the TV stations in my area. But there are also a lot of lazy good-for-nothing hacks working at the newspapers in my area.

11. Taylee

Taylee Member

I live in a major metro and when the guy gives the morning sports updates, you'd swear he was on the shitter reading the paper. He gives info as it's presented in the paper, quotes too. This isn't a news station giving sports updates. It's the sports station. The Fan. The Ticket. The Homer. Whatever its name is.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Long time ago I was working in a medium market, I think about 600,000 people including suburbs at the time. One of the TV sports anchors used to call us asking for high school scores. SE finally says don't call here again, we're busy, you can pay people to call in the scores like we do and you can pay people to take the scores in the office like we do, so fuck off. Guy keeps calling, trying to disguise his voice. SE says next time, give him the scores, but give all of them wrong. We did, and he never called again.

Draft saved Draft deleted