1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today newsstand price jumps 100 percent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Sep 29, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

http://jimromenesko.com/2013/09/27/usa-today-expects-price-increase-will-bring-a-minimal-drop-in-print-sales/

Date: Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    Subject: USA TODAY Price Increase – effective Monday 9/30/13
    To:

Dear Colleagues,

We have always strived to keep the cover price of USA TODAY low. Since 2008, despite rising costs and other national newspapers raising their prices, USA TODAY has remained at $1.00, providing our readers exceptional value. However, effective Monday, September 30, 2013, the cover price for USA TODAY will be $2.00.
    two
    This change will allow us to continue to invest in the resources necessary to deliver USA TODAY’s award winning content. This increase still positions USA TODAY as a value to readers and we will be priced competitively with other national newspapers.

We anticipate this price increase will bring a minimal drop in print sales, as we continue to evolve how we distribute USA TODAY. As consumers habits have shifted, we have gradually been decreasing the number of racks on the street, while giving consumers additional options to purchase our print edition. In the last quarter alone, we have added more than 1,000 retail sales locations.

Thanks to the hard work from all of you, our total audience is bigger than ever and we expect those numbers to continue to rise in the future.

Larry

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Excellent -- I'll save even more money by never buying it!

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do people actually buy it? I thought the circulation was entirely from being slipped under doors in hotels.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The worst part is USA TODAY never had anything in its Friday edition telling people a price hike was coming. I expect to see a LOT of unsold papers on Monday.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you really think that would have made a difference?

I bet the people who will be pissed are the small retailers that now will
    have to put out more money. I get my daily papers at a small coffee shop
    and the guy is always complaining about how slow it is to get credits for his
    unsold papers.

I read that USA Today has a circulation of 1.7 mil papers. i would be
    curious to know how many are actually sold retail.

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the Audit Bureau of Circulation have the actual numbers?

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

At $2, it's almost worth swinging by the local Courtyard Marriott and mooching one off the front counter as if I'm a paying guest.

Wait. It's the same paper for $2 that they charged $1 for, and routinely give away for free?

Never mind. What the Interwebs site doesn't have isn't worth reading anyway.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

When I leave the office for a while to eat lunch, I've always enjoyed buying a USA Today and reading it while eating. I figure I've read our local stuff already (we're a PM paper), and checked out the AM edition of the major metro at the office. USA Today at least has a few features that were worth the 50 cents ... and the 75 cents ... and the $1.
    Not $2.
    No bleepin' way. Not for a newspaper.
    Every product has a price that's just a bit too much, and anything over $1 for a weekday edition of ANY newspaper is that price.

I'll be curious to see, too, how long it takes other Gannett papers to hike their prices. They quietly did it after the last two USA Today price hikes.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Let's do the math: If 75% of that 1.7M circulation figure represented paid copies (retail), at $1 per that would mean $1.275M five days a week.

At $2, all they have to do is top 637,500 copies sold.

Or, if they really want to get efficient, just sell one copy of the newspaper and charge some silly bastard $1,275,000 for it. Done!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But if most of the hotels are charging guests for the newspaper anyway (unless you opt out), it might be a decent bump.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't recall ever paying for USA Today at a hotel. I doubt many do.

Also read that bulk price to hotels would not be increased.

Draft saved Draft deleted