1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA TODAY losing all NBA Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe they'll break themselves up, but their too big to be bought by anyone right now to be attractive to a possible suitor. Their CEO is a TV guy so I can see them holding on to the TV stations and maybe 50 of their best performing papers and hubs. Because what he's done so far hasn't paid off much.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wish I could take credit for this line, but someone told me...

Gannett exists so there will be a newspaper to read in hell...

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I know this is a kinda old post but will USA Today actually hire new beat reporters for the NBA or just call it a night and use wire copy?

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Former columnist Jon Saraceno and former NFL writer Chris Colston are the main NBA writers now, with help from longtime staffer Scott Boeck (son of Greg, who took the buyout), NBA editor Oscar Dixon and whomever else gets pulled in here and there.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I call my shop The Ultimate Temp Agency. We have more turnover than a rotisserie chicken at Boston Market.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I was sitting in a courtroom hearing a couple of TV people bitching about Gannett's TV side and when I realized that's who they were talking about, I mentioned that I've heard horror stories about the print side. I didn't tell them where I heard them (heh, heh), but I could speak with enough authority for them to realize Gannett screws everyone just as hard.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Saraceno was demoted?

MankyJimy must be suicidal...

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

MankyJimy = Heath Ledger?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I know this isn't really a Gannett thread, but the Arizona Republic's editor just bailed out and is headed to the SF Chron. Apparently, his rabbi, Sue Clark-Johnson is bailing as news chief for the chain and he figured it was time to go.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

Was it the Sports Editor who bailed, Dan? Or the Editor Editor? More info please...

11. JLawson

JLawson Member

This should help you Mediator:

Former Reno Gazette-Journal executive editor Ward Bushee has been named executive vice president and editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, Hearst Newspapers announced Friday.

Bushee takes over the top editor position of Northern California’s largest newspaper on Feb. 1. Bushee was editor of the Reno Gazette-Journal from 1990 to 1999 when he took over the top editor position at the Cincinnati Enquirier. He was named editor and vice president at The Arizona Republic in 2002.

Bushee replaces Phil Bronstein, who was named editor-at-large of Hearst Newspapers Division and The Chronicle on January 23.

12. Mediator

Mediator Member

Much thanks. I thought maybe sports got caught up in all the chaos...

Draft saved Draft deleted