1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA TODAY losing all NBA Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know. I think of journalism as grad school that you get paid for. You learn more about life in a short amount of time, than any other job. Perhaps you learn more about life than you want to know.

2. i couldn't say it better myself. especially the bold part.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sad to see good people go ... but my question would be are they posting the jobs?

4. DanOregon

I had a weird thought today, thinking about ESPN breaking down their fake playoffs and the Madden show, combined with fantasy league coverage throughout the industry. Will there come a day when the real games don't matter that much? Will people be more interested in their own video game leagues and other user-generated content. It sounds ridiculous I know, but who would have thought you'd see as much fake stuff treated as seriously as it is today.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, well, you have put your finger on the key aspect of that post, now haven't you?

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I was told no one will be hired to fill the vacant jobs. Instead, the department will be reorganized.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Roscoe has always spoken well of Mississippi, where he did a lot of preliminary work in his career.
    I appreciate that he's never forgotten his roots.
    He might see some writing on the walls at USAToday. Folks who take buyouts often have alternate plans.
    Roscoe's always seemed informed. And yes, it's a pretty incredible story.

8. DanOregon

Glad to know USA Today is going to "re-organize." Is there a paper in America that doesn't either reorganize or redesign its paper every two years? I know an editor needs to do "something" in order to make an impact that will help him or her get their next job, but I've yet to see or experience a reorg or redesign that had a positive impact on circ. Plenty of negative ones though.

9. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

One point people seem to have missed in all this is to think that a newspaper's circulation has any bearing on the bottom line.

My view is increasing circulation is no longer perceived by the suits as a positive. While it might not be a negative, it's more of a peripheral statistic.

More circ means more newsprint. And after manpower. that's a newspaper's second largest expense.

Besides, some so-so papers have experienced modest circ gains recently while some newspaper heavyweights have gone the other way. In the end, it's all about the bottom line, not newspapers on doorsteps.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When Gannett's mother ship is letting people go you know the whole chain is in the shitter...

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

isn't that where most people read USA Today?

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

I still think Gannett is preparing itself to be sold.

Draft saved Draft deleted