1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA TODAY losing all NBA Reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's bizarre, primarily because it's a cluster-bomb of their NBA coverage.

But in terms of anal-retentives cheapening the product, while expecting morons to keep buying it at the same rate . . . Gannett, baby.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Geez, Ace, assuming you're not missing the sarcasm font, even in times like these, a million-plus national newspaper with RISING circulation losing its entire NBA reporting staff, and all of them being allowed to go, is not ordinary, unless my scrutiny of the business hasn't been nearly as good as I've thought over the past five years.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I wonder if there will be some restructuring and a little relying on AP. Does USA TODAY use staffers for the NHL?

It's kind of a slippery slope -- it could give other papers "bright" ideas. I'm not an NBA fan at all, but from a writer's perspective I still think it stinks.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just because the folks who took the buyout were covering the NBA doesn't mean they won't cover the NBA. I assume they will simply shuffle the survivors around.

Unless USA Today specifically structured the buyouts so only NBA writers were eligible.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wholly expect them to slot new folks into the NBA coverage.

Cheaper folks, of course.

Gannett, baby.

6. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Nice to see they're following my advice as an "industry consultant."

Happy Holidays. You know, Chemotherapy can be Fun!! :D :D

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

What does race have to . . . have to do with it?

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Nothing as far as I can tell. Perhaps just an interesting sidenote (i.e. Despite the industry push for diversity, the bottom line always wins out).

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The item is from a blogger who takes particular note of African-Americans in the media.

10. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

USA Today has an audience. It's just not the same one everyday.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Maybe I was wrong to make light of the situation.
    Lord knows, in 19 years of doing this, I've seen 11 rounds of buyouts/layoffs/separations/voluntary separations/involuntary separations at various stops. I've seen parking passes not work. Badges not work. Sign ons not work. I've seen coworkers tapped on the shoulder. I've seen it all.
    The current industry trend is to replace the veterans. And when a company -- or a corporation -- offers buyouts, they run the risk of this situation occurring. USA Today will reshuffle. Perhaps need to backhire.
    But, this is what they will do. There won't be four experienced journalists. There might be three. And they will be at lesser salary.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's only one funny thing about this: That the suits' desperation to run people out of there has simultaneously stripped their sports section of all the expertise on a mainstream sport. I hope they're sweating.

Draft saved Draft deleted