1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today Cover Story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CR19, Jun 13, 2010.

1. CR19

CR19 Member

I already knew that the USA Today was in a steep decline, but I never thought that they would fall to this level by using this story as the top article for their website. The title of the story says it all:
    Adult and topless pools make a splash in Vegas

Can anyone make sense of the site's decision besides to pick up readers? Should they use this type of story as their cover article? For me, I can't make sense of it and I'm firmly against putting topless pools on the cover of a newspaper.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2010-06-10-las-vegas-adult-topless-pools_N.htm

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

USAT has always catered to traveler stories since more than half their readers are hotel guests. But if they can find more than two people doing something, it qualifies as a "trend" in USA Today.

3. bob

bob Member

Just had a USA Today conversation with someone yesterday. Bottom line: who reads it anymore except travelers? Last time I even laid eyes on it, the car dealer left a copy in my truck after an oil change.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I can remember riding down to the McDonald's by the interstate every Tuesday and Wednesday so I could pick up USA Today just for the baseball stats. Obviously, that was a long time ago ...

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Assuming they didn't use pictures, how is the subject patently offensive, and if these kinds of pools are springing up in what has become the new "family oriented" Las Vegas, is this not a trend people might not want to know about and have examined?

6. CR19

CR19 Member

People might be interested in this story. I'm not against the article itself. It could have been put in the travel section. But this was on the FRONT PAGE of the USA Today website. Stories about the BP Spill, flash floods down in Arkansas, and riots across the world aren't as important as an adult pool in Las Vegas? That is where the issue lies: was this a good idea for a cover story? Personally, I don't think so.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It IS, at least, the front of the Travel Section and not the front, front page.
    The Internet version is different, with different rules, than the hard copy.
    No big deal, IMOP

Draft saved Draft deleted