1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today College Football Coaches' Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Aug 1, 2008.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

And I was waiting for that counter-argument. That seems to be the ace in the hole for SEC fans (yeah, but what about the one that counts!!!).

On the grandest stage, yes, Ohio State has shit the bed, but I'm not going to fault them for last year so much. They were playing an away game and it wasn't nearly the blowout that people seem to make it. Now two years ago, that was an embarrassment.

All I know is that college football fans talk about the SEC's dominance of the Big Ten and yet the head-to-head record over the last few years is 9-9.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hell, probably the biggest game ever between those two. KU would have been one win away from the BCS championship game with a victory, and we saw how much it meant to Mizzou. Never thought that game would ever become the game of the regular season in college football.

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I guess we weren't watching the same game. Compared to the previous year I guess Ohio State could call it a moral victory b/c they didn't have the plane warmed up at the end of the first quarter, but this game wasn't as close as it looked. The only reason Ohio State is ranked this high is because the world (wide leader) considers Tressel to be a coaching genius... who's genius seems to turn into a pumpkin after Jan. 2.

4. Love PSU, but they were picked fourth (or outside the top three) in the Big Ten for a reason.
    The O-line sucks and they have big problems on offense. Not to mention the fact the JoePa can't beat Lloyd Carr (maybe that will change this year, but I'm not holding my breath) ever or OSU with any sort of consistency.

DD,
    Illinois fourth in the Big 12? Are wearing pajamas? Cause you must be dreaming. NO way.
    Maybe the SEC, but not the Big 12 - the most over-rated conference in all of college football.

It's on.

5. times38

times38 Member

obviously this is kind of a pointless argument, but Illinois would be the fifth best team in the Big 12 this year (Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech and Missouri are all better, and maybe even Kansas) and they'd be the sixth best team in the SEC (Auburn, LSU, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are better, and maybe Alabama and South Carolina).

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Paterno just booted two quality Dlinemen (both DTs I believe) and they have to replace two stud LBs -- one who left for the NFL and one who suffered a torn ACL.

Their front seven has taken substantive hits.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

In his defense, lukewarm, does he not have the same record in BCS title games as one Bob Stoops?

The reason I ask is Stoops IS regarded as a coaching genius.

And the victory over FSU in the Orange Bowl came against one of the worst "good" FSU teams I've ever seen.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Regarding Wisconsin, the Sept. 13 date at Fresno State will be telling this season.

9. The whole thing is pointless, that's what makes it fun.

Puh-lease.
    Illinois would beat four of the five Big 12 teams you names and four, maybe five of the seven SEC teams. Wouldn't be close.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I guarantee that JoePa will not beat Lloyd Carr this season. That absolutely will not change this season.

(But he will beat Rich Rodriguez! :D )

11. Man I hope so.
    I hope it was Carr and not Michigan that's in his head.
    If he falls to Michigan this year there is no way he should be back at State College next year.
    I'll be leading "We want Greg (Schiano)!" charge.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hubris...Thy name is Orville Redenbacher.

Draft saved Draft deleted