1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today College Football Coaches' Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Aug 1, 2008.

1. times38

times38 Member

I wasn't even really talking about the SEC. I just don't feel like the Big Ten is very good right now outside of Ohio State.

I do like Wisconsin, but you're never really sure how good they actually are since they never play anyone out of conference. Illinois and Penn State are OK.

But I think those three and Michigan will really start to catch up fast starting next year. This has just been a bad decade (outside of with Ohio State) for the conference. I think the Big Ten was probably the best conference during the 90s.

I hate to sound like a Big Ten hater, cause I'm not.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Time for malt liquor, bags.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually I think they took their name off about the time Fox started doing the national championship game. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

4. times38

times38 Member

Ha, I'd never even thought of that. They did it after the 2004 season, so I'm not sure if the Fox contract had been signed yet.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And by the end of September, this poll will be a mess.

Georgia plays Arizona State, Southern Cal plays Ohio State, Florida plays Tennessee, LSU plays Auburn, Missouri plays Illinois, Auburn plays Tennessee, Wisconsin plays Fresno State and Michigan, Kansas plays South Florida and Illinois plays Penn State.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Illinois would be the fourth, maybe fifth best team in the Big 12.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Mizzou-Illinois is maybe the biggest opening game on the college football schedule (although I don't have the whole sked in front of me to prove it). Winner is one step closer to a BCS game, loser is playing catchup all season long.

St. Louis will be hopping that weekend.

8. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

No offense to DD 68, but this kind of argument (and the lack of ever really knowing the answer) is why I have a severely diminishing interest in college football.

9. doubledown68

I think it's exactly why college football is the most fun to argue about.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Your snark is fine and good, yes, but you have to admit the otherworldly beatdowns the SEC has offered the Big 10's representative the last two championship games. Maybe it's not fair, yes, but if you get the complete shit beaten out of you in the game's biggest stage, don't crap yourself when the doubters come calling.

11. doubledown68

Indeed. Not sure why this game ever went away. Though the people who made this happen (as well as moving the KU game to Arrowhead) must've made a deal with the devil. Last year's game in St. Louis was good, and both teams were better than anybody expected.

Then the KU game goes to a neutral site for the first time since WWII, and becomes the biggest game in the past 30 years for both schools.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Until Ohio State can play and best everyone else in the Big Ten it shouldn't be in the BCS title game.

And why in heck is it ranked so high after getting absolutely embarrassed in the last two title games? Can't these people think on their own season-to-season? (Yeah, I know the answer).

Draft saved Draft deleted