1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today College Football Coaches' Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Aug 1, 2008.

1. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Big Ten has the most teams ranked in the preseason poll, so it can't be all that horrible.

Secondly, why do you think Michigan will be a "horror show" this year. Just curious to hear reasons.

And I'll agree with LSU being too high. They've got a great defense and potentially a great running game, and they'll most likely start 4-0, but their schedule is brutal and eventually they'll run into a team that will force them to throw and they won't be able to do it.

2. times38

times38 Member

Well, when you consider they lost their starting and backup quarterback, the running back that was the heart and soul of the team, two wide receivers that combined for over 2,000 yards and four offensive linemen, and all these inexperienced guys have to learn a brand new offense, that doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

and outside of Ohio State there's not a team in the league that could compete in the SEC, Big 12 or Pac-10 this year. Starting next year the conference will be a lot better though, I think.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'd like to think that last year was finally the turning point for Mizzou... not just winning road games, but dismantling clearly inferior teams on the road.

Unfortunately, I know precisely where you're coming from. I'm 29... they haven't won in Nebraska since I've been on the earth, and their last trip to Ames ended in a loss with a lame-duck coach in front of 5,000 people.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the ride.

And while UGA might well be the best team in the country, I don't know if any team can run that gauntlet without two losses... or maybe even three.

4. StaggerLee

I can't argue with their offense going through growing pains, but having a bunch of new starters in a new offense isn't always a bad thing. Plus, those new starters are not necessarily chopped liver. Lloyd Carr had put together some pretty solid recruiting classes, nothing like USC or Ohio State, but plenty of talent to go around on the roster.

Now, if they would have ranked Michigan in the top 15, I'd have a problem. But saying they're the 24th best team in the country, that's not a real big stretch. I can see them going 8-4 or 9-3 just because they're Michigan and they're going to have more talent than most of the teams on their schedule.

5. times38

times38 Member

that's essentially what I was saying in my initial post. but if the Big Ten were as strong now as it was a decade ago I don't know that they'd have a winning record.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

.... aaaaaaaannd we're off.

7. Speedway

Speedway Member

And when was the last time Miami received zero votes?

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Six teams getting first place votes, wow. Does anyone know what the record is? My buddy said he can remember a year when eight teams got first place votes.

9. I think Illinois would beg to differ.

10. NCWCsports

NCWCsports New Member

As well as Penn State. Loaded defensive line, linebackers will be good as usual and the defensive backs there are solid. Offensively, set except for quarterback.

11. StaggerLee

Don't even try to argue. We all know the SEC is far superior and the Big Ten has no chance of ever competing with them. The series record (9-9) in head-to-head bowl matchups certainly points to that SEC dominance.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Jesus, guys. IT'S FUCKING AUGUST 1ST. Let's not start this bullshit so early this year, mmmkay.

Draft saved Draft deleted