1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA hoops: what do we think of this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackS, Apr 6, 2007.

1. JackS

JackS Member

I don't necessarily mean UNI, but the concept...

UNI Men’s Basketball Team To Represent United States At 2007 World University Games

Cedar Falls, Iowa – The University of Northern Iowa men’s basketball team has been chosen to represent the United States of America at the World University Games, Aug. 7-18, in Bangkok, Thailand.

In past World University Games (also known as “Universiade”), USA Basketball (the sport of basketball’s governing body) has selected teams comprised of collegiate players to compete in the event, which is held every two years. However, USA Basketball elected not to organize a team this year, and worked with Basketball Travelers, Inc., to find a team to compete in this summer’s World University Games.

UNI will take an 11-member squad to Thailand: Seniors Eric Coleman, Jared Josten and Adam Viet; juniors Travis Brown and Carlton Reed; sophomores Kwadzo Ahelegbe, Jordan Eglseder, Brian Haak and Adam Koch; and redshirt freshmen Kerwin Dunham and Josh Molstead. Only players who were enrolled at UNI during the 2006-07 academic year are eligible to participate.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think last year's Florida team would have represented us better. Horford could technically play for the U.S.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Losing by 40 points per game. How inspirational. How patriotic.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

It seems to convey how little interest we have in the World University Games, which other countries will probably find insulting.

5. JackS

JackS Member

I'm not so sure about that. We'll see, I guess. USA won gold at this event in 2005, so it will be interesting to see what happens this time.

6. Starman

The 2005 roster:
    Greg Brunner
    Randy Foye
    Mike Gansey
    Vincent Grier
    Matt Haryasz
    Chris Hernandez
    Eric Hicks
    Bobby Jones
    Gerry McNamara
    Craig Smith
    Patrick Sparks
    Shelden Williams

Not exactly an NCAA All-Star team, but probably a team that would contend for most major BCS conference titles.

But the US went 8-0, averaged 93.5 ppg and gave up 63.6, so BAD BAD BAD.

7. JackS

JackS Member

Well, that was kind of my point in couching the choice of UNI. I'm more interested in the opinions of sending a *team* rather than a group of "all-stars."

Let's say UNI wins gold, even if not as convincingly as the 2005 group. Does it tip us off that maybe sending a superior *team* is the way for USA Basketball to go rather than these conglomerations?

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The problem with this theory is... which good NBA team is comprised of Americans only?

9. JackS

JackS Member

Wasn't last year's NBA champ?

Even when that's not the case, you can always fill a few spots.

10. Starman

GUIDING PHILOSOPHY OF USA BASKETBALL:

It's good to win, but not by very many points, because that hurts the other teams' feelings.

Let's figure out some way to send a team that can win, only not by very many points -- we can send pros who half-ass it, who don't want to try hard, we can send pro coaches who are obsesssed with controlling game pace and whose ideal of a perfect game is winning 53-51, we can send "hardworking" college "amateurs" (har-de-har har) instead of pros, we can send mediocre college teams instead of collections of stars -- we can figure something out.

If UNI, a slightly-above-average (19-13) team in a slightly-below-average D-I conference, ends up winning the tournament, undoubtedly we can dig up some 8-25 Div. II team that can "represent the U.S." more accurately next time. Maybe a 3-28 junior college team?

Of course, three-quarters of the time, these brilliant strategies backfire and we end up getting fed shit sandwiches, but at least we're not hurting anybody's feelings by winning games 122-82 very often.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Is it Grinnell that runs the old Loyola Marymount "run and shoot until somebody dies" offense?

Shoulda sent them.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Another guiding principle of USA Hoops:

"If your top guys can't win against the world anyways, don't make your national pro product look weaker than it already does. Just send the JV squad, and save everyone - especially David Stern - the hassle"

Draft saved Draft deleted