1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA — rugby power?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TrooperBari, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

In Union action today, USA beat Georgia (the country), 25-23, on a game-ending penalty kick in Tbilisi. Big win for the Eagles following last week's respectable loss to the Maori All-Blacks in Philly.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The All Blacks will play the USA Eagles in an historic Test match in Chicago on Saturday 1 November, New Zealand Rugby and USA Rugby confirmed today:

http://www.allblacks.com/News/25026/all-blacks-and-usa-rugby-confirm-chicago-test

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I would imagine the Kiwis will send there top squad seeing as it will be a chance to showcase in the US, will be interesting to see how The Eagles stack up.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Remember, in rugby, running up the score is a part of the game. There's no hand-wringing about it.
    The ethos in the sport is such that they believe that's how teams like the USA measure themselves against teams like the All-Blacks.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The game is not being played during a recognized international window, which actually may hurt the U.S. more than NZ. The U.S. have players playing in England for clubs who are not only under no obligation to release them but have also actually been fined in the past for releasing players outside a window rather than having them play in the Premiership.

That being said, given the amount of money no doubt being sunk into this game, and given that AIG is the sponsor of it, I'm guessing an arrangement will be reached. And yeah, the final score could well be something like 60-5.

One of the U.S. World Cup matches is relatively down the road from me in Brighton, apropos of nothing else at all.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

USA 7s has been having a nice season this year.

7. The standings suggests the U.S. has regressed.

9. Armchair_QB

No way in hell the US holds the All Blacks to 60.

10. It looks like the All Blacks will rest several of their key players on Saturday. Obviously, the biggest name missing from the line-up is Richie McCaw who has been doing lots of promotional work in Chicago this week.

http://allblacks.com/News/26272/all-blacks-team-named-to-play-historic-test-against-usa

I'm eager to see if Dan Carter gets some playing time. It will be interesting to see how he has recovered from his various injuries and time-off during the last two years.

It's the first time in 34 years (and only the 3rd time ever) the All Blacks will play in the United States. Can't wait to see the Haka!

11. Armchair_QB

The US highlights may end with the national anthem singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXfL1rgwhY

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I spent some time in Australia and hung out with lots of Pacific Islanders. I think the Haka is awesome but enjoyed the universal derision that the Polynesians would heap on it.

Supposedly the story it tells is of hiding from a foe and then reappearing once the danger is gone. They all said it was not a warrior Haka. Could have been my friends messing with me tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted