1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US v. Brazil: U-20 World Cup on ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pastor, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

What was initially supposed to be a game shown in ESPNU and Galavision will now be simulcast on the flagship, ESPN, for tonight's game at 7:30 PM. I find this move to be rather interesting as it wasn't initially scheduled, even US Soccer's own website hasn't been updated for it. I'm not sure what the ratings will be for the event. It is a Friday night. It is the summer and the weather is very nice.

The Yanks started the tournament with a lackluster effort against South Korea which ended in a 1-1 draw. However, they bounced back to deliver a 6-1 beating of Poland. Freddy Adu netted a hat trick while Jersey boys Danny Szetela and Jozy Altidore put in two and one respectively.

Brazil lost to Poland 1-0 and beat South Korea 3-2. So, there is not telling what to expect from them.

What I do know is that the U-20 US team, in the Poland game, looked a hell of a lot better and more dangerous than the US team that landed in Copa America.
  2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

7:30 eastern? (Please say central, please say central)

I'm gonna golf this evening. If it's at 6:30 my time, I guess I'm taping.
  3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry, BAM, the game is listed as 7:30 EST. However, if you are setting up the recording add at least 20-minutes after 9:30 because Soccernet has the official kickoff set at 7:45 EST. So, if you setup your DVR to only capture the game, you may miss the last 15-minutes.
  4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

When I DVR soccer (or any sports event for that matter) I always set it to record an extra 30-60 minutes after scheduled completion.
  5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This will be much better than another night of poker from 2002.
  6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Based on what the programming guide said on my television last night, the original line-up was NFL Live and Hot Dog Eating Contest.
  7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Oh boy ... ESPN better be prepared for the "ESPN supports communism" backlash for putting soccer on instead of the all-American Hot Dog Eating Contest.
  8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I haven't followed soccer, especially the U-20 level, very much lately, but can someone give me an idea the kind of boost this would mean for the team if the Americans were to win this one?
  9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Ultimately, success at the youth levels doesn't mean much. Nations like Ghana has usually had tremendous success at the youth level, but little to show for it at the World Cup level.

The Soviet Union won the 1977 event, but never made the semis of the next three World Cups. Qatar was runner-up in 1981. In the early 90s, Portugal and Australia were among the best U-20s in the world but neither made World Cups that decade. Even Mali had a third-place finish in 1999.

FWIW, Argentina has won four of the last six. Europe has won once since 1991, and it was Spain, which, other than in 1950, has never been close to winning a World Cup.
  10. F8vortex

F8vortex Member

They cancelled the replay of the hot dog eating competition! I was really looking forward to watching it again. It was the greatest moment in American sports. It put Joey Chestnut among the great American heroes. How could they do this to me?
  11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

They're communist.
  12. Jones

Jones Active Member

Tonight's game is in Ottawa, and your faithful correspondent will be there, drunk off his head.

It's part of a doubleheader -- we open with Argentina v. North Korea at five o'clock, then U.S. v. Brazil.

The game is sold out, 30,000 fans booked, everybody talking about it, and the weather is hot and humid, chance of showers. Should be a great night.

Look for me vomiting on the Ocho.

And, of course, it almost goes without saying: Viva Brazil.
Draft saved Draft deleted