1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US troops killed in Afghanistan chopper crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Aug 6, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/08/06/afghanistan.nato.helicopter.crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

31 US troops -- mostly special ops -- and seven Afghans believed dead in helicopter crash. Taliban takes credit.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is awful news. Such a loss. Thoughts to family and friends.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Godspeed. Thoughts out to you, tbf, not sure if you fly Chinooks or not but still must hit home.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@AP -- The Associated Press

BREAKING: AP sources: Majority of those killed in helicopter crash were from Navy SEAL Team 6.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shit. RIP, and thank you for your service.

6. YankeeFan

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My God, that is horrible. I'm assuming that wasn't an accident. How the fuck did the insurgents get that information?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They were shot down during an operation on a Taliban compound that sounded like it turned into a pretty fierce firefight. It's not like the ones who shot them knew who was in the chopper at the time, although I'm sure as that information comes out we'll get some bragging statements about how they've avenged Osama.

In the New Yorker story it talked about how in many ways the Osama raid was nothing out of the ordinary because those guys go on those missions constantly, just that they're obviously not publicized. So it seems like this was another one of those "regular" raids, which are obviously anything but routine, as this shows.

Definitely makes you wonder if the soldiers mentioned in the New Yorker piece were part of this, although it could be totally different group in that unit.

Have already seen some online comments - on Yahoo!, which make newspaper and youtube comments look like the peak of civilization - about how this is part of the conspiracy: no proof Osama's dead, now removing soldiers from the unit involved, etc., etc., etc. Ugh.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Latest from AP:

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. officials tell The Associated Press that they believe that none of the Navy SEALs who died in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan had participated in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, although they were from the same unit that carried out the bin Laden mission.

10. YankeeFan

I was wondering about this.

I thought a team like this would only be brought in for a major operation. Aren't they based in the States and not in Afghanistan?

Had me wondering if they were on a pretty important mission.

Either way, it sucks.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They have commandos all over the region there, some in Afghanistan, some in other countries.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I assume it was a 160th bird, but don't know anything about it.

www.armyaircrews.com reports this:

5 crewmen killed
    22 USN SEALS killed
    3 USAF FACs killed
    7 Afghan SF killed
    1 Afghan interpreter killed
    1 dog killed

A/C crashed occurred at approx 0300 hours at Tangi Joi Zareen, in the district of Sayd Abad in Wardak Province during an insurgent operation. Early reports indicate A/C was shot down by an RPG.

Draft saved Draft deleted