1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Thanksgiving question from a Canuck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 26, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

1 p.m. here so we're finishing up dessert just before cowboys game. and then hit the leftovers this evening.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

26,000 posts and this surprised you?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We usually eat all of our holiday dinners (Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving) between 1-3. This year was a little later since there were some hospital visits to make. Our family is very small though, only five or six at the table.

There is a big party for the other side of the party later though.

4. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

My SO and I ate at 12:30 a.m., after I got home from work. We enjoyed a quick meal of turkey cutlets, Stove Top stuffing and casserole. SO went to work at 10 a.m. today, will spend 12 hours putting out Friday's newspaper and will sleep in the newsroom tonight because of Black Friday coverage. I have to work five hours tonight (copy editor here). So no, not all Thanksgivings are created equal, especially if you're married to a journalist.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The way I remember it, we'd always eat around the normal time when we'd go to my Abuela's (Spanish for Grandmother) for Thanksgiving. We've eaten at the normal time when my dad and his partner have done Thanksgiving.

The one time things were different was when my mother and stepfather and I went to his mother's for Thanksgiving. We had the meal between 1 and 3 p.m.

We're supposed to have dinner in about five-10 minutes.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We ate at noon at the in-laws which allowed plenty of time for a nap before heading into the office at 4:30.

Growing up, my family ate around 4 p.m.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Usually 2 p.m. here. That gives us an hour and 15 minutes before kickoff. Plenty of time.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Noon with mom's side. Then 6 p.m. with dad's side. Or, if we're at the in-laws it's 1 for her dad's side, 7 for her mom's side.

Ah, the joys of divorced parents.

9. bwright

bwright Member

In my family, it was always lunchtime. If we weren't at the table at noon, it was because the rolls were still warming (and Dad had been waiting at the head of the table for a good fifteen minutes).

This year I'm at my fiancee's, and I think we finally sat down around 4:15. Just different ways of doing things.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks. Interesting. All over the place

Canadian Thanksgiving is the third Monday of October but most people I know have the big turkey dinner on Sunday evening.

And the holiday is certainly not as important in Canada as down there. Ours tends to be a lot more low key and if people fly across the country to be with family, it's more likely to be for Xmas than Thanksgiving.

Anyway, I hope all of you had a wonderful dinner with friends and family.

Good luck tomorrow. :)

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

JR's right, much more low key here. Sunday is normally the day we do the family Thanksgiving thing but they have changed to the odd Monday and that leaves me out as I have to work and I rely on an always welcome take out plate from the wife's aunt.

Definitely not the huge shopping/drinking holiday it is down there.

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This. Only without the nap, I had to drive 2 hours back home to come into work about 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted