1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Sues School Over Denial Of Muslim Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

One more person who insists on making sense. The bed-wetters don't want to hear that.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's just dripping with irony.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

YF -- maybe you can turn down an "unreasonable" request, but you'd better check with a lawyer first to find out if it's unreasonable. The fact she was asking for unpaid leave should have been the first tip that it might not be considered unreasonable. As for Muslims demanding some sort of special rights, the school calendar is in many ways drawn around the Christian schedule (two weeks off for Christmas, many schools positioning their spring break around Easter), so by that standpoint any request for many nonChristians ceremonies would require special circumstance. Like how all the Jewish kids in my schools got excused absences for Jewish holidays, or why Muslim children in my kids' schools get an excused absence for Eid.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

A certain poster's missives are starting to sound like the anonymous web comments on stories about mosques around the country. Muslims are using our courts to force America to live under Sharia Law? Really?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The law is the Civil Rights Act.

It says that if she makes a religious request, the school has two options:

1) Grant the request

2) Offer an alternative that attempts to meet the requester's desires with less interruption to school business.

If No. 2 fails, the school then has to show why granting the request would cause an undue burden.

The school didn't do No. 1 or No. 2 according to the report. It just denied the request, which it doesn't have the right to do in that manner.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I disagree in every way possible that this woman is entitled to anything but want to make it known that I am separate than the other people in this thread that think allowing it would lead to a Muslim takeover.

I don't want to call those people idiots so I'll stop writing right now. :)

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think the case can (and probably will) be made that she knew full well what the school year calender was and signed up knowing what it was.

Besides, it's 2010. Can't she just youtube that shit?

(Obviously joking).

8. RickStain

That case will not be made in court, because it has no legal standing under the law.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The problem is that if No. 2 fails and
    The problem, I suspect in this case and many cases like this in the future, is that the alternative offered will never be good enough.

10. RickStain

We can deal with facts or we can deal with your made-up hypotheticals, but not both at the same time.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's drawn around the Christian holiday schedule because, oops, Christians founded the nation. I'm sure the school schedule in Syria, Jordan, Iraq, etc. revolves around the Muslim holiday schedule. But if there are any Christian teachers in those countries, do you think they're getting Christmas off?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It was a hypothetical. But I suspect many cases like this will follow those lines. Just a guess. If you ban any hypothetical through on this board, it will cut 90 percent of the posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted