1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Sues School Over Denial Of Muslim Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You can't make it that simple - Supreme Court jurisprudence on the Establishment Clause & the Free Exercise Clause is a mess, so no one knows what qualifies.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

This is such a slam dunk. That's why the Feds took it up. Scalia would refuse to even hear this one.

3. highlander

highlander Member

If she wants to go so bad then quit her job and go. I think asking off for three weeks during the middle of school is probably excessive.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's apparently exactly what she did.

No idea why the Justice Department is literally making a federal case of it.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think it's the part about 'chose between your religion and your job' that doesn't bode well for the defense.

6. YankeeFan

AQB might not be too far off:

http://www.koco.com/print/26162860/detail.html

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I didn't realize Congress was preventing her from taking three weeks off from work to go on a pilgrimage.

Look, I sympathize with this woman. I do. But she's not entitled to anything in this situation.

Should they have given her the time off, especially since it's unpaid? Absolutely. But are they required to? No.

As was stated here, she could go later in her life. She chose to go right now and that's admirable but in the same way that my employers don't have to hold my job if I ask for three weeks off that I'm not entitled to in order to go on a vacation to Hawaii, they don't have to hold her job so she can fulfill her religious obligations.

No one made her choose between her job and her religion. She made that choice on her own.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Loosen your belt and get off your high horse, YF. I was referring to the persecution complex some Christians here in the U.S. seem to feel when they're not allowed to shove "Merry Christmas" down everyone's throats and have to make room for the other holidays and religious traditions celebrated at this time of year. I've had a couple of personal run-ins with some of those folks in the past week. Frankly, they don't represent their religion very well.

Are Christians persecuted around the world for their beliefs? Yes. But that's not what I was referring to.

And Christians have done their share of persecuting others over the centuries, too.

Have fun playing with your straw man. :)

9. YankeeFan

How did you get into "run-ins" with those folks? Do you express displeasure when they wish you a Merry Christmas or did they begin some other way?

And yet you mocked the whole notion, not just AQB's example.

Really? We're going to go the moral equivalency route? To dismiss the atrocities committed in the name of Islam by referring to Christian atrocities that happened 500 years ago (and were committed on both sides) is ridiculous.

When will you hold Muslims to the standards of the 21st century? Why do you not hold them accountable for their actions by only holding them to 16th century standards?

Keep pretending this woman was prosecuted and that Christians are always in the wrong.

In your effort to be non-judgmental, you have developed a serious case of anti-Christian bias. It's a shame and I hope you can overcome it at some point. It's not healthy & does not reflect well upon the person you want to be or believe you are.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Again, without learning about what they did in similar situations, this is just a wheel spinning thread. The NPR article doesn't shed any light.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They should allow the leave. Sort of odd for the teacher to do this so soon in their teaching career.

It pisses school administrators off, though, to see teachers take time off like this during the year is the teacher can help it at all. This sort of skirts the line.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That's funny, especially on SportsJournalists.com. How many football games and bowl games and playoff games have kept us from our families for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, etc? How many times has Easter coincided with the NCAA tournament and the Masters? Athletic event on a holiday, we work. I know it depends on the relationship an employee has with a boss, but this kind of stuff needs to be worked out in that context. If you don't like your employer's policy on vacations/holidays, get a new job.

Draft saved Draft deleted