1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Sues School Over Denial Of Muslim Pilgrimage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Quakes

Quakes Guest

The Hajj occurs during a specific time each year -- like Lent or the High Holidays, to pick a couple of specific religious periods from other faiths. So she'd have to go during that time, whenever it was.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Swing and a miss. Poor fricking persecuted Christians. ::)

Nice to see that the obsession with all things Muslim is alive and well at this most wonderful time of the year.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is one of the most bizarre mass persecution delusions out there.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Hajj is a five day event.

It's start is determined by a citing of the moon, so while you can't determine its exact date in advance, you can narrow it down pretty closely.

And, even factoring in travel time, It's hard to understand why she needed three weeks off.

Also, while the Hajj takes place at the same time each year as determined by the Islamic Lunar calendar, it moves each year in our calendar because the lunar calendar is 11 days shorter that ours.

So, in only a few years, the Hajj would take place during her summer vacation when she could take all the time off she needs without asking anyone for permission.

I'm not sure how old she is, but she looked relatively young. The Hajj is required during one's life time.

There is no reason why she needed to make the Hajj right now.

It's one thing to make "reasonable accommodations" for a person's religious obligations.

But, nothing about the schools denial of time off prevented her from performing her religious obligations.

She just wanted to fulfill them now. Or she wanted an excuse for a lawsuit.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

It ain't hard, folks.

6. YankeeFan

Dave, you surely know that Christians are being persecuted in locations across the globe -- particularly in Muslim majority nations.

And their persecution is not limited to being denied time off from their job to perform religious pilgrimages.

They are being driven from their ancestral homes if they are lucky and murdered when they are not.

Christian communities that were founded in the first century and that have endured for two millennia are being obliterated.

The demographics of an entire region are becoming more homogeneous than ever.

So, criticize the premise of this thread if you want, or particular responses if you choose, but mocking the idea of Christian persecution is ignorant and trivializes a very real issue that receives scant media attention.

And to trivialize it makes it even harder for the people working to combat it.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No one has a right to a job

8. YankeeFan

But she didn't need to make the Hajj this year. She was not at all prevented from practicing her religion.

It would be like me demanding to take off St. Joseph's Feast Day or St. Patrick's Day. Sure, they are religious observances, but nothing in my religion requires me to take them off, and nothing about them would require my employer to give me the days off.

9. Lugnuts

I'm guessing "free exercise" probably includes scheduling.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

If a Christian takes a job knowing they will have to work on Christmas, do the feds sue if that Christian doesn't get Christmas off?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It means you can't be arrested for freely exercising your religion.

And that's all it means.

12. Lugnuts

No, I think the courts have held you also can't be discriminated against.

Draft saved Draft deleted