1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Soldier Reacts to Congressional Election News

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

that's a real intelligent response, lol. Kinda hard to think of what to do when given the leadership huh?

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Tell you the truth, I'm for it. Bring them home, and let the violence — which is gonna rage on for eons anyways — rage on without us. We fucked up huge on this one. And if "cutting and running" — or whatever let's-make-the-non-chickenhawks-feel-like-pussies term you want to throw out there — spares several thousand more Americans and their families a lifetime of heartache, depression and PTSD, then so be it. I'm a cut-and-run pussy. Sign me up.

And if it makes you feel better, d_b, then by all means blame it on the Democrats. Or, find some people who want to "pull the plug" on this enormous piece of bullshit and blame it on them. We'll take credit for the extra number we'll need to hang in the "L" category for this one. Because I gotta be honest: Looking back on it, if someone, anyone, would've said back in the late 60s that it was "time to pull the plug" then I'd track 'em down today and hang a medal around their neck.

People in this country bitch about Arabs and Muslims and how they're all allegedly bloodthirsty, murderous savages. And yet many of these people doing the bitching are the same people who think that it's worth American lives to go in their and spread Democracy (which, it bears mentioning, Democracy gave us the current governments in Iran and Lebanon -- two more countries some people around here think we need to go in and clean house on).

We attacked a country we felt "threatened" by, a country that couldn't defend its own turf for three days. And we thought a campaign of "shock and awe" would somehow — and here's where the logic gets really fucking cute — help us get greeted as liberators. And we did it all with about half the guys it really needed.

Now, I'm seeing something every day about a car bomb blowing up in a Baghdad market. And remember last week, when they found those 56 tortured corpses? It's so common now that when I argued in the news meeting for its placement on the front page, a news editor said "It's nothing new."

And yet we get fed bullshit about how South Philly's more dangerous than Baghdad. And then this piece of tripe about how putting those pussy-ass Democrats in Congress is a slap in the face to the servicemen. And how this guy would rather be a French soldier today.

Fine. Fuck it. Let him go sign up for the French Foreign Legion, and we'll bring the other 150,000 back to our place, where they belong.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That letter is pitiful.

Goodbye, cruel world!

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm from outer space, but I believe . . .

1. The Democrats have controlled the House for 44 of the past 58 years.

2. The Democrats have controlled the Senate for 42 of the past 58 years.

3. This nation has done pretty well in spite of Nos. 1 and 2.

So what am I missing here?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You see, two years ago fed up liberals could just move to Canada or France or something. Where are the Republicans supposed to go? Singapore?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Forgot to look at the source of the post before clicking... my bad.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Breaking/UPDATE:

Very much to his credit, I just received a brief email from Mr. Humphries. He says the soldier's letter is legitimate, that he has heard from him in the past and that he has the soldier's email address.

In deference to fair play, and to Mr. Humphries' honesty, let's then say that, whether we agree with the letter or not, it is likely, unless Mr. Humphries is himself being gamed by someone, genuine.

I thank Mr. Humphries on behalf of the board.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

My $0.02, take it or leave it.

Just talked to my brother, who serves in the Air Force, on the phone yesterday. He's financing a computer and couldn't be happier about it. He and his roommate, a fellow airman, were joking back and forth while I was on the line. The elections were never mentioned.

Whether that's a representative sample of all servicemen, I don't know. Five will get you 10, however, that one of the last things on a serviceman's mind is which @#$%ing political party controls Congress.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

More for the anecdotal file: My staunchly conservative brother, National Guard Reserve in Iraq 2003-2004, was also happy to see Rummy go.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's a logical post. Unfortunately, some of our "friends" here, like DB, don't think logically.

One highly questionable email regarding the feelings of one solider = every soldiers' feelings overseas right now. That's D_B logic.

Send your brother our best E_R! And I agree, I don't think most of those soldiers give two shits about who runs Congress.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

When I was in, the buzz in the Navy about the 1992 centered solely around plans to allow gays in the military. That was it. Everything else? Eh...

Don't let D_B dumbassery try to convince you otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted