1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Soldier Reacts to Congressional Election News

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Nov 10, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My shame? I'm a veteran you dicksnort. And if you think what's going to happen is something so glib as a "cutoff" in funding, then you really have no clue.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are some ticked-off soldiers, but still...

By the way, trade ya the Nigerian who needs money for the Russian bride.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Anxious Dems eye power of the purse on Iraq When pressed on how he could stop the war even if Democrats control the House during the last years of President Bush’s second term, Rangel paused before saying, “You’ve got to be able to pay for the war, don’t you?”

Rangel’s views on funding the war are shared by many of his colleagues – especially within the 73-member Out of Iraq Caucus.

Some Democratic legislators want to halt funding for the war immediately, while others say they would allocate money for activities such as reconstruction, setting up international security forces, and the ultimate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

“Personally, I wouldn’t spend another dime [on the war,]” said Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-Calif.).

Woolsey is among the Democrats in Congress who are hoping to control the power of the purse in 2007 to force an end to the war. Woolsey and some of her colleagues note that Congress helped force the end of Vietnam War by refusing to pay for it. Battling the White House on the war would be challenging, Democrats say, but they would be emboldened by the election results and Bush’s standing as a lame-duck president with low approval ratings. What’s more like likely is to fund the conflict in a way that will end the war by reallocating money to new initiatives. If Democrats control Congress, that funding likely would have strings attached. Most Senate Democrats backed a nonbinding measure earlier this year crafted by Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) that called for troops to begin to withdraw from Iraq, but the amendment did not set a withdrawal deadline. Another amendment offered by Sens. John Kerry (D-Mass.) and Russ Feingold (D-Wis.) set a redeployment of troops to be substantially completed by July 1, 2007 was soundly defeated, attracting only 13 votes. The Levin amendment fell short as well, garnering 39 votes.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/092606/iraqfunding.html

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I know the letter is a fake because our soldiers are all way too intelligent to have written something so dumb.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And that's the ballgame. Drive home safely, folks.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why should I have to do the search for D_B?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I wish someone would've cut off the funding and shut down the Vietnam "police action" before my old man got shipped over there.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Excellent point, although I'm sure D_B would wonder why you, and your old man, hate America and the troops.

9. Turns out the old Internet bullshit barrel has no bottom.
    D_B of course, is disappointed we left Vietnam before he could hump the boonies in the central Highlands.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

so you're OK with pulling the plug on our kids in Iraq? (funding wise) I'm sure that will be a great platform for Hillary to run on in 2008!

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I have emailed Mr. Rusty Humphries asking if he can authenticate the letter. I expect an answer:

a) never

or

b) the day after that

12. So, you're a dunce?

Draft saved Draft deleted