1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Post Office no longer delivering on Saturdays ... does it affect you?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Feb 7, 2013.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

We went to mail delivery almost two years ago and it's been a pain in the ass for me, and my coaches don't like it, either.

We have to keep switching deadlines based on whether a sport is "big" enough to warrant next-day coverage, but it's also meant our newsroom must work six days a week.

I've been working nearly every Sunday since the change, which sucks. But even if they decide to print M-F only, we still have to cover Friday sports.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Re: US Post Office closing on Saturdays ... does it affect you?

The upside to no Saturday edition is you can take your time on your coverage of Friday night events. Watch the event, do interviews, go out for dinner or a cold one, come home, transcribe tapes and write at your leisure. Those were the days. In some ways, much more fun than the normal "15 minutes to crank out 15 inches" nightly drama.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I've thought of that, but now we're required to get a story online pronto. While that means I can write the story from home, it still means they'll want a full-blown story for the online edition.

/leeches

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

The decline of newspapers continues...

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will have to carefully time my Netflix returns - but other than that, no.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This pisses me off; the USPS is one of the best run parts of the government, and everyone else leeches money off it. Utterly no non-artificial need to stop Saturday delivery.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It does not. Hell, I can't remember the last time I mailed anything -- be it bills or what have you.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People still do the mail-in thing with Netflix? I thought it was all streaming now? I'm about to re-start my membership for House of Cards and Arrested Development.

But no, this does not affect me. I just wonder why they waited so long to do it if it's saving $2 billion. They could go to 3 days a week and I'd be fine with it. We don't need mail service every day.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's sad if that is one of the best-run parts of the government. It lost nearly $16 billion in its last fiscal year. Is that deficit the artificial thing requiring cuts somewhere?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Just a note. The Post Office is not closing on Saturdays. Home mail delivery will stop, but the offices themselves and parcel delivery will continue. The Post Office's fiscal woes are directly attributable to a 2006 law altering their pension accounting to a format used by no other government agency or business. Otherwise, it'd be bumping along all right, even despite the decline in first class mail, because of the increase in package delivery.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2012/pr12_131.htm

"The $15.9 billion loss was driven by $13.4 billion in expenses that were outside the control of the Postal Service in the short-term. These expenses include the $11.1 billion retiree health benefits prefunding expenses and the expenses related to the long-term portion of workers’ compensation. When these expenses are deducted the net loss would have been $2.5 billion. The Postal Service has been successful in reducing controllable expenses as mail volume and revenues have declined."

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It took the better part of a day for anyone to care enough to start this thread. That doesn't exactly scream relevancy as far as the one day delivery goes.

After I read the news yesterday morning, my only thought was, "Well, crap, now my Netflix turnaround goes up from six days to a full week."

So no, I can't say I'll be affected greatly.

Draft saved Draft deleted