1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And Martina and Bob Bryan are in the mixed finals after their opponents withdraws b/c Justin Gimelstob (sp?) is injured.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Geez please anyone but JHH.

3. sportschick

I'm with you. I can't stand that woman. Nasty, cheating, evil creature, she is.

Plus she looks like somebody I'd date. I think she might be male.

4. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Tough final for peoplle are are allowed to cheer. ;-)

Both those ladies wear their ambition on every sleeve, endorsement patch, sock, skirt, dress and visor. It's so naked it's actually a pretty big turnoff.

I'm so Sharapova'ed out I might actually hope JHH wins. If Sharapova wins, in the big city under the big spotlight, we might just drown in Sharapova. To say the least, I've reached my Sharapova limit. Reached my limit with Daddy a long time ago. He's just disturbed. The only thing that really saves him is the history of bad tennis dads that came before him.

There's just something icky about a father holding up a banana to his teenage daughter and waving if frantically up and down, or is it just me?

5. nafselon

Well JHH is a phony, a cheater, a sore loser and generally a miserable person to root for. She has great talent, great fight but no class. It's completely inexcusable what she did to Mauresmo and it'll be something that I, as a fan, never get over. When Martina was on her roll in the 1983-84 she was beating the shit out of Evert and you never saw Chrissy quit despite probably wanting to.

As for Maria, once I get past the Sharapova marketing crew (pops included), I see someone who takes tennis seriously, continues to grow into her game and is trying to shed that "tennis model" label everytime she steps on the court.

I think she can deal with a U.S. Open victory. She dealt with Wimbledon and all of that stuff. I think when she's on the court her level of concentration is underrated.

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Any chance both the ladies can sprain ankles during the warmup?

7. sportschick

And Roger, in a huge, massive surprise, is into the final.

8. sportschick

Last year he didn't make the French finals and maybe not the Aussie one either. I'm too lazy to go look it up. Hopefully ballscribe will come back and enlighten us. But he'll be playing for his 9th Slam title. Blows my mind. He's gonna break Sampras' record unless Nadal starts winning Slams someplace besides Paris.

9. sportschick

And Roddick beats Youzhny in four sets for the oppotunity to get his ass kicked by Federer in the final tomorrow.

10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

(I posted this on the journalism board but since folks from the USTA read this site and this thread, it could go here, too. I'd be interested to hear ballscribe's experiences.)

I haven't seen this posted elsewhere so figured I'd throw it out. It seems the female reporters covering the US Open were barred by security guards from entering the men's locker room following Agassi's last match. All they missed were scenes of his fellow tennis players giving Agassi a standing ovation, nothing important obviously, except maybe one of the greatest pure moments in sports we'll ever witness. I'm sure their sports editors were thrilled to read stories written by male writers who were able to capture the moment for readers.

And before the young and ill-informed "reporters" on this board like AF start screaming that men don't go into women's locker rooms: YES THEY DO! Equal access has only been a FEDERAL LAW for 25 years, so please do your home work. It benefits you, too. According to Jane's blog below, a male reporter was kept out of the women's locker room at the Open while his female peers were allowed in, a total violation of the law. Keep us all out, let us all in, whatever. Just make it the same for every reporter with a credential.

This is just one more reason why tennis needs a commissioner. From what I understand, it was the young male players who complained about women in their presence, and then tennis wonders why it lags behind other sports. (Meanwhile, pretty young woman from food services delivered food to the locker room day after day, with no complaints.)

The male reporters who were allowed in didn't realize their female counterparts had been shut out, and I have no doubt the guys would have complained just as loudly if they knew what was happening. Much has changed since female reporters had to stand in the parking lot like groupies. Most of us in the business can't imagine working under those circumstances, mainly because we've had great support from our editors and co-workers who understand we need to do our jobs on an equal playing ground. I'm sure those editors already have filed complaints with the USTA and/or US Open but just in case, here's a detailed link of what happened"

http://tennis.lohudblogs.com/2006/09/05/women-on-the-outside-again/

11. sportschick

Woo Hoo. Anytime JHH loses, it's a good day.

12. nafselon

Long-distance high five!!

Draft saved Draft deleted