1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. It seems like the US Open pretty muchs uses the same course anyway.
    Yeah, every so often there's a Chambers Bay, but for last 30 years or so, it's the largely the pulled from the same dozen or so courses.
    Several courses: Bethpage, Pebble, Pinehurst and Oakmont hosted the Open twice within 10-year spans. Not saying that's a bad thing, just saying.

My 10 in no particular order:
    Bethpage
    Pebble
    Pinehurst
    Winged Foot
    Whistling Straits
    Medinah
    Hazeltine
    Olympic
    Cherry Hills - great call Chef!
    Either: Muirfield Village, Doral or Colonial.

I think there's a bit of east coast bias when it comes to the US Open. Since 2000, 10 of them have been on the east coast.

FWIW... There hasn't been an open in Texas in decades.

Buddy of mine and his group went to Pinehurst in March to play. They walked onto No. 2 and played for just shy of $500 a man. He said it was worth every penny.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is there a course on Texas that is worthy of the Open? Whispering Pines, but it's never held a major tournament there. Austin Country Club is cool, but not sure I'd think of it as one of the country's great tracks. Dallas National is boring.

Frankly, it was fun to see the LPGA play Salahee this week. Those trees are gorgeous, and it requires shotshaping, not bomb and gouge.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Prairie Dunes in Hutchinson, Kansas should get some love as well. Has hosted a Senior Open and a Women's Open.
    Great great track. Very underrated.

Double Down likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be very very interested to see how stupid the USGA gets next year with Erin Hills.

5. Yeah, I enjoyed the watching the women's U.S. Open there.

I'd also like to see an LPGA event at Augusta.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

How about at the course beside it? Is it Augusta CC???

7. Given your unhealthy man crush on Sergio, I'd thought you'd be on the Colonial bandwagon.

But yeah, surprisingly, I can't think of any really nice Texas courses.

8. No.
    Come on, man.... I wanna see the LPGA's best tackle Amen Corner.
    Augusta CC would be a cruel joke.
    LPGA to Kristie Kerr: hey, we're putting Augusta Georgia on the schedule next year.
    Kerr: Really? Augusta National?!?
    LPGA: um.... Not exactly....
    Kerr: fuck.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Open is coming back to Country Club in 2022, or so it's said. Two things have altered the US Open rota. 1. Private clubs like the Country Club think it's too much trouble and that the USGA creates bad blood with other area clubs and public courses through its high-handed manner. 2. PGA of America has snaffled up some of the more traditional Open sites, such as Oakland Hills, for the PGA-Ryder Cup double.
    The reason there aren't any Opens in Texas (or Florida for that matter) is simply the heat.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

True. As much as I'd like to see it, I just don't see them doing a yearly tounahment. What private club is willing to close the course to members for two weeks (tournament weeks, not to mention prep and recovery time), especially when the course is closed as much as it is already? A one-time-only event would be pretty cool.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Last U.S. Open in Texas: 1969, at Cypress Creek.

Winner: Orvile Moody, who went through qualifying!

Number of other tournaments Moody won before he went to the Senior Tour: Zero

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Would love that but there's no room to get that course to 8,000 yards needed in today's game at 5,400 feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted