1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I just hope it's not a shit course like last year.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nope. Classic old Oakmont. Fast greens x 100.
    I just hope that they allow the greens to reward good shots. Don't Shinnecock the place. It's hard enough. It's long enough.
    2017 is where it's going to get stupid.
    Welcome to Erin Hills
    They'll stretch that out to 8000 yards.....have +7 win the damn thing, and howl like coyotes when the pros say they'll never come back.
    FWIW: The USGA should take note from the R&A with regards to course layouts.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

And as far as Chambers Bay goes, tee shots and approach shots played out ok on television. Putts were awful to watch because.......well, the greens were awful. I think the actual layout itself of Chambers was ok. The greens were what ruined it.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The layout was terrible for spectators.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I've heard that. Hills and mounds galore.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don't think Koepka and DJ contend because they don't putt well enough. US Opens don't usually reward bombers (although Cabrera won in '07 and Tiger was 2nd); so I'm thinking Spieth (if he can get off the tee), Rory, and this is really setting up for Day (wow I've picked the top 3 betting choices) and the standard straight hitters/putters Scott?, Snedeker? Reed? Real dark horse but Reifers had a beautiful swing going a couple of weeks ago at Colonial and just looked like he could throw a dart anywhere at anytime.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Snedeker breaks through.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only person who wasn't real long for their time who won at Oakmont was Larry Nelson, whose game was much like Spieth's. But Spieth is so far having a year to even out all those 15 footers he made last year. Not playing that great lately but Adam Scott is well suited to the course.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I will always remember Angel Cabrera walking up the 18th fairway at Oakmont, not a care in the world, burning a cigarette.

Love love love the way he plays.

Get it and hit it.

[​IMG]

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's playing about the same, actually. Don't buy the *narrative*

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a putter's course and tournament. I like Spieth (when don't I) and Day. Not feeling it with Rory changing up his putting. Phil playing well this week but this event is his albatross.

Draft saved Draft deleted