1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open (Flushing Meadow)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 31, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Amazing run of mens tennis these past 5 years.

First Federer's unquestioned dominance, capped off by his career Grand Slam win at the French in '09.

Second, Nadal's seizing of the top, capped off by his '10 season and 3 Majors (French, Wimb., US Open).

Now, Djokovic's 3 Majors and unbelievable 66-2 run on all surfaces, hardcourts, clay (lost French semis but beat Nadal in Rome and Madrid), and grass.

What a redemption, Djokovic from the beloved Joker, to the rude guest at Flushing Meadow/quitter, to now the unquestioned No. 1, conqueror of both Federer and Nadal.

Sad thing for Federer is that during his period of dominance, '03-08, until Nadal came of age, he had no legitimate challenger. Roddick? Please. Nadal had Federer, whom he finally conquered. Djokovic has Nadal and Federer.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Djoker has indeed had a year for the ages.

I'm very happy for him. Always a fun guy, now has grown into a great player (though I still think his semifinal win was more of a Roger gag job than a Djoker triumph). I frankly thought all the tennis this year had taken a toll on Djokovic and he would wilt against Nadal. Turns out it was the other way around.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Those first three sets were incredible and the fourth was incredibly disappointing. Like Mac was saying, why didn't Nadal exploit the fact that Novak was serving so softly. Just about every return in the fourth set bounced before the service line.

I almost wonder if Nadal's gotten a little too muscular. I think he might be better served by dropping a little weight and getting back to the guy he was physically three years ago. Still don't understand why he didn't serve bigger yesterday, either. That's what won it for him last year.

And the FDNY had Djokovic was wearing felt more like pandering to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted