1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open (Flushing Meadow)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 31, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Saw that Nadal was staggering last night (got broken 6 times) and Venus has withdrawn. Would like to see Djoker finish off a fabulous year.

I'm thinking that Serena gets it done, Clijsters is out, Sharapova too inconsistent, Wozniaki has no real weapon except defense (hello Aranxta S-V) and the rest of the Eastern Europeans don't have enough combination of power & movement.

Looking forward to the night matches for the Rd. 16 and Quarters; those are the best matches. My fav. is a Qtr. under the lights in '85 or '86 when some no name was rifling one handed topspin backhands down the line on McEnroe. Some guy named Lendl. There was Connors/Krickstein and Nastase/Connors as well.

2. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Lendl was one of the best players in the world beginning in about '80 or '81, and he finally won his first major when he came back from two sets down to beat McEnroe at the French in '84. So he wasn't a no-name in '85 or '86. (Were you being sarcastic? If so, my apologies.) He won the tournament both of those years, actually, and again in '87. In fact, he reached the U.S. Open final eight years in a row, from '82 to '89, which is a pretty damn amazing feat that doesn't get talked about much.

Anyway, the Open is one of my favorite sporting events of the year. The matches last night were pretty blah, though, and this Roddick match tonight isn't much better so far. It'll get better, though. Djokovic's the obvious pick, and he'd be a good story, but I wonder how healthy he is. I'd love to see Federer get on a roll and win one more major, but I think he's at the stage of his career where he needs help from the draw gods to get through seven matches without a loss. He needs someone to take out Nadal for him. He can beat anyone else on any given day, but I wouldn't feel as good about his chances against a big hitter like Tsonga or Berdych or a healthy Del Potro. As for the women, who knows? I understand why everyone's picking Serena, but I could see her stumbling, given how little she's played in the last year.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Correction it was Nastase/McEnroe under the lights.

And for Lendl v. McEnroe, it must have been '82, not '85 or '86. I'm getting old.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Women's side a mess. Three major champs out already. Venus gone.

And big doubles hit today with the Bryan twins going out in the first round -- first time in 10 years they've lost in the first round of a major.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's hope Venus gets well soon, but how many times have the sisters played the "I have a (fill in the blank), so I can't play" card?

6. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Bumping this back up considering what is going on right now on Armstrong.
    After having the delay for two days (except for a few games Tuesday), Roddick and Ferrer come back out and then are sent off because, while the sun is out, water is coming up through the court. People are trying to frantically dry the court to get it playable, and the players have been in the locker room for at least 30 minutes, if not longer.
    Can't they just build a roof for the two show courts and get it over with?
    Update: Looks like the players are about to get back on court. Have to get all matches in the fourth round for the men in today or there is another Monday final.
    Update 2: And it is STILL not ready for play. Roddick looked at it and went off on the directors because it is still wet. Play being shifted to Court 13.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Shame that its had this hiccup because tournament has had some really good moments; Djokovic v. Bogomolov (sp) 1st set was fantastic, Nadal fighting to stay alive. Quarters are setting up really well with Fed v. Tsonga tonight.

8. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Quarterfinals should be fun, certainly. Could have Roddick vs. Nadal, which would be a fun one to see.
    Question to be posed, since there is a chance the men's final could end up being played Monday if there are any more lengthy delays: is there any consideration of putting the men's final permanently on Monday night? I know you'd go up directly with MNF, but if there is never a roof built rain will play havoc with it almost every year, and Monday finals could become something of the norm.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Question for you tennis guys: Is Andy Roddick really as big a douche as he seems to be? Every time I see him play, he's bitching about something or another. I know tennis players are by their nature prima donnas, but it just seems like he always carries that attitude to an extreme.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Interviewed him once. When he was good, he was good; when he wasn't, he came across as condescending, with this little smirk. I know it was a very small snapshot, but siding with the douche vote.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

He can be as condescending as any pro athlete, but he also sticks up for what he believes is right.
    He'll always be OK in my book for pulling out of the Dubai tournament after organizers refused to grant a visa to Israel's Shahar Peer. None of the female players refused to play in protest over how Peer was treated (and I realize there were time issues), but Roddick went above and beyond doing the right thing.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Never been a fan, and had a couple of instances many years ago that led me to solidify that.

Draft saved Draft deleted