1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open at Flushing Meadow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw24, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Damn, really wanted to see the calendar slam.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the Wimbledon final won by Bartoli a couple years ago. That was an incredible moment, seeing a dream come true for someone who had chased it for so long.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that. Gotta love her now.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Hey, what could be more appropriate than two Italians playing for the U.S. Open title? After all, America was named for an Italian. Hell, Columbus (real name: Cristoforo Colombo) was Italian.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

More importantly, does Serena still get SI's Athlete of the Year or whatever? In fact, that's the only thing people should be talking about.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Nope, the Triple Crown horse is the clear leader in the clubhouse as of now.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BTW, did anyone notice the absolute demolition Djokovic just performed on Cilic? Wow.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's a fucking horse.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Now, we're talking!

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I started this thread saying she handled the run-up to the tournament with grace, and that I was rooting for her.

Then I read the post-match comments in the AP story.

"I don't want to talk about how disappointing it is for me," Williams said at the start of a briefer-than-usual news conference. "If you have any other questions, I'm open for that."

Horse shit. If you're going to be who you are, and play at the level you're playing at, you need to answer the hard questions.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

she is without doubt on of the greatest female tennis players of all time. Top 3 minimum.
    She has rarely displayed grace, charm, civility and sportsmanship unless things are going her way

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I felt in the weeks leading up the US Open she handled the pressure well. I was impressed, because before that, and throughout most of her career, felt she was obnoxious. I guess the joke is on me.

Draft saved Draft deleted