1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open at Flushing Meadow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw24, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Serena down 5-3 in the third against.....someone.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Down goes Williams. Down goes Williams

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bye-bye, slam.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I can't imagine anyone but very, very hardcore tennis fans watching the women's final.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That Italian Fed Cup team is playing for the title -- 26 seed Pennetta vs. unseeded Vinci.

Seeds No. 1 and 2 go down today.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Watch out, McEnroe. Vinci says you're next.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well that was a great match by Vinci; she brought back memories of the 70's and 80's when women (and men) routinely sliced their BHs, hit sweet drop shots and then chipped and charged into the net. Huge Congrats to Ms. Vinci. She was running down most everything, hitting consistently, then mixing it up with drop shots and slices. Serena was, I hate to say it, scared to hit out so she started hitting defensive top spins that Vinci attacked. Great performance, I only hope she finishes it off tomorrow.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Serena: " she played out of her mind".

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just a collective hushed gasp from the crowd when Vinci dropped the winner, as if 10,000 people didn't know what to say.

Serena was predictably awful in her press conf, though got a kick out of her calling "last question" and then asking for one more when she got one she didn't want. (Wish I could hear what it was.)

And yeah, if you ever wanted to see a U.S. Open final on the cheap, get thyself to NYC.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was rooting for history but her post-match interview made me want to root for her for the rest of her career, she was so genuine and sweet and authentic:

Best part was when asked about what she thought waking up today that would carry her to victory, she said "NO, did not even think it." Hilarious.

Go Roberta Vinci!!!

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The balls will go back and forth over the net. There will be lots of good shots --- and some bad. History (in some sense) will be made.

Those who choose to skip the women's final simply because Serena isn't there likely will miss an entertaining couple of hours. Their loss.

Gator likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted