1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open at Flushing Meadow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw24, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

After the first two sets, most English are thinking -- "that Scot is getting his ass handed to him"

Songbird likes this.
  2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The Scot is taking his ass home with him. 7-0 in the fourth-set tiebreaker. Wow.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Speaking of 7-0 in a tiebreaker.

Federer is unbelievable.

Thankfully the constant talk of "when is he going to retire?" has been replaced with "how does he still do it?"

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

He's already outlasted Nadal.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And he's older than Roddick (who's been gone it seems like forever).

Just never tire of watching him play. He made an Isner match entertaining, for crying out loud.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The 3rd set and 4th sets of the Murray match are what makes tennis so compelling for me, just tremendous. Anderson was serving and playing fantastic.

The Fed/Isner match was fun as well, Isner hitting 2nd serves at 120 is amazing. Unfortunately he's so damn tall that his movement on court is really hard to watch.

Saw some Young/Wawrinka which was enjoyable as well; good to see Young lose the attitude and just be a player (no more crooked cap). I truly wonder though why guys even hit it to Stan's backhand, his forehand is much weaker, not quite to Edberg level but close.

As for the women, if Halep's No.2; Serena is not going to lose.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Now THAT's Hall of Fame talent.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't see anyone out there who can touch Serena. She'll have beat herself to not win.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Maybe Kvitova if she gets hot since she hits it a ton and has a good serve. Very much doubt it though.

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Serena should cakewalk to the Slam. She is so far above everyone else it isn't even funny. Showing that emotion because she gets frustrated that games are even close.

The men's side was awesome on Wed. with Tsonga-Cilic and even the Lopez-Djoker match. That fourth set Lopez played unreal and lost in a tiebreaker to Djoker, who also played pretty phenomenal tennis. I was surprised, I planned to go to bed at about 1130 and was surprised how much Lopez pushed Djoker. Lopez has a great serve and volley game. Djoker just played great also. If he was off his game, Lopez may have won or at least made it go five sets.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Well only thing standing between Serena and history is the Italian Fed Cup team (Vinci and Pannetta); odds must be something close to 1-25. Here's hoping she does it.

As for the mens, wow what a quartet; a tennis lover's dream; Fed v. Stan; Djoker v. Defending Champ Cilic; I'm thinking its Fed v. Djoker w Djoker coming out on top because of his endurance (although something tells me I should root for the old guy).

Funny sidelight, just told my buddy that I started rooting for Djoker because I got tired of Fed winning in the late 00s and wanted someone else and he said that's exactly why his now 90 yr old mom roots for Djoker.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I started rooting for Djoker back when he was known more as the tour's clown than a great player. He really is funny and engaging.

That said, the old guy in me really wants Federer to win another major title.

Draft saved Draft deleted