1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open at Flushing Meadow

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw24, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great piece. Very brave of him.

I would've liked it if he'd delved more into how to treat anxiety (beyond medication, which he mentioned.)

The gold standard is cognitive behavioral therapy. It's the only thing proven to work. And often the meds help CBT to be initiated ... Then the meds are weaned off while the therapy continues.

One of the tenets of CBT is gradual exposure. So if his therapist had been in the car on the way to the Federer match, the therapist might have suggested simply attempting to arrive at Flushing Meadow. If that worked, perhaps simply stepping on the court-- with the assurance that he could step off at any time. Then perhaps make it through the warmup, etc etc. Any small step would be framed as a major victory, as opposed to just staying in the car.

Simply saying he didn't have to play the match-- doesn't meet the anxiety head-on. Of course that's easier said than done when you're in full-on panic attack.

But he had the luxury of not having to play that match. Most of us don't have the option not to do our jobs. And for people with anxiety, they have to learn techniques to deal with it. What he practiced in that particular case was avoidance, which only makes the anxiety worse.

That being said, damn. Good luck to him, and I'm so glad he's talking about this.

Gator likes this.
  2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wow. That really was phenomenal.

Gator likes this.
  3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Serena just lost her first set to fellow American Bethanie Mattek-Sands.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  4. MagoIL

MagoIL Member

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

What in the world does she have on her head?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I think you're looking at this all wrong. :)

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  7. old_tony

Serena held a 15-40 lead that would have gotten her back on serve at 4-5 and lost the next four points, including a volley smash at the net that she hit long. Then she led 15-40 again with a chance to go up a break at 2-0 in the second set and lost the next four points. She's now again ahead 15-40 and mishits a second serve long and then hits another into the net. Deuce.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, well, that, too.

9. old_tony

And unforced errors again cost Serena a chance to break. Tirico just said second straight 15-40 hole that Mattek-Sands escaped, but it was actually third straight.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I just glanced at the match stats. Serena has 26 winners to Mattek-Sands' 11, but she has 19 unforced errors to Bethanie's four.

About says it all.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Although the Googles tell me that Ms. Mattek-Sands makes some questionable style choices from time to time.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Another great stat -- Serena has converted only one of her 12 service break opportunities. That's 1-for-12.

Draft saved Draft deleted